photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Thursday, July 10, 2008

But they taste so good!

I have been reading a lot lately about increasing your fiber intake, especially if you are looking to drop a few pounds.

The experts recommend eating 30 to 35 grams of fiber a day. They also advise starting to add this extra fiber slowly because of, well, the "effects" the extra fiber might have on your body.

Being that I am always looking to drop a few pounds, I decided to increase my fiber intake.

Jennifer suggested Fiber One bars. She said they were delicious so I purchased a box. And she was right. The Oats and Chocolate variety is especially tasty.

One of these bars has 9 grams of fiber. That's a lot in just one tasty bar. So I have started eating one of these a day.

However, I have not been able to add any more than these 9 extra grams of fiber due to the "effects".

I have no idea how the experts expect people to eat 35 grams of fiber a day. My husband would seriously consider separate households if I ate that much fiber every day. He is already taking issue with the "effects" of the 9 extra grams.

Sarah saw me eating one of these bars a few days ago and said, "Are you eating a candy bar?"

"No, I'm having one of my special bars," I replied.

I call them my special bars because Sarah ate one several weeks ago and loved the taste of it. They are a little pricey so I told her these were Mommy's special bars and only Mommy could eat them. I didn't want her eating my whole stash.

Plus, on a more personal note, the "effects" of the bar weren't wasted on her either. I decided the day she ate one that if she ever got constipated all I need to do was give her a Fiber One bar!

"Oh," she replied. "You mean one of your poot bars!"

post signature

26 comments:

Brittany said...

hmm I need to try those bars. I've always wondered whether or not they tasted good. I like the fiber yogurt- have you tried that?

jennwa said...

Sarah cracks me up. I love that story.

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

I gotta get me some of those bars! Maybe I could use some beano to thwart some of the "effects."

Hmmmm...I wonder.

Texasholly said...

hahaha. Your daughter is funny!

Deanna said...

I am going to buy some of those bars for my son! He needs the fiber!! He's a boy... I am very accustomed to the "effects".

Don Mills Diva said...

That's hilarious!

I just had a bowl of Raisin Bran - I'm off to check out how much fibre was in that...

Christina said...

I'm going to have to give these a try since I too need to drop a few pounds. Thanks for the warning. I don't know how people can eat more fiber then that, but I guess it's possible. Maybe if you want to live in the bathroom.

Jaina said...

Interesting, I'd always wondered if those bars were any good.

Laural Out Loud said...

I need to up my fiber, too. I never thought about the tooting! I guess I'll start slowly and see what happens, lol.

Laural Out Loud said...

I need to up my fiber, too. I never thought about the tooting! I guess I'll start slowly and see what happens, lol.

Kelly said...

I like Activia yogurt with granola

Grandma T said...

Sarah.....she makes me laugh!!

the dragonfly said...

Gotta love the things kids say!

Tina said...

hahahaha! You make me laugh! Great post!! :)

And thanks for the tip...now I know before hand who needs to avoid these like the plague...and who could use some to torture a few folks. Thanks for the ammo!

Mari said...

That is so funny. What's even funnier is that I still want to try them after hearing about the results!

Rebekah said...

I love Fiber One bars. So does my son, so I have to keep them hidden.

Other issues I had led me to the fiber bars ;)

Ann(ie) said...

HA! I love those things but poot bars is accurate!!!

Carol said...

Wow that is a lot of fibre.

You'll have to let us know when you get up to the full 35g if it was worth the 'effects!'

McMommy said...

I think the name "Poot Bars" would be a huge seller in the fiber market!!!

Happy POW, Beth!!

Unknown said...

Too funny! I've been wanting to try to lose weight. Maybe I'll try one of the poot bars :) At least they taste good, right?

Amanda @ notsoextraordinary said...

hahahaha! i'll definitely be steering clear of those then!

Anti-Supermom said...

I agree - how in the world can you fit 35 grams of fiber into our bodies and expect it to turn out okay? :)

Very funny story!

Tyne said...

Great, thanks for the suggestion. I don't think the Doritos that I have been eating have quite the fiber content (and they certainly don't help with weight loss). I will try the "poot bars"

Anonymous said...

To funny. My daughter has enough "effects" going on already so I think I will just skip these.

Simply Shannon said...

Thank you so much for the laugh. That was priceless!

Tiffany said...

You are so funny! I actually love these... I eat one almost daily mid-morning to get through to lunch - Chocolate and Oats!