photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Glue

"Can Daddy fix this? Can he glue it?" asks Sarah through tears as she holds up a broken necklace.

"Can Daddy fix this? Can he glue it?" asks Peter through tears as he holds up a broken car.

My kids think their Daddy can fix anything with glue. Anything. Even plastic.

"We'll ask him when he gets home from work," is always my reply as I dry the tears and survey the damage, knowing that the answer is probably no.

But my husband is always willing to try.

He examines what ever broken toy they bring him and tells them that it probably won't work but that he will try to glue it back together anyway.

After dinner he will take the broken item to his workbench in the basement and he will attempt to put it back together. And the next morning he will check on whatever was left to dry overnight and will present the "fixed" item to the owner.

And each time this scenario replays, their faces light up and they shout, "You fixed it! You fixed it! You did it Daddy!"

The toy never stays fixed for long and sometimes he isn't even able to fix it at all. But my husband knows that it's not whether or not the toy will be fixed but that he has tried to fix it that matters to the kids.

They know that if something is broken they can always go to Daddy and he will do his best to to repair it.

And as they grow older and broken toys turn into disappointments and failures, they will know that Daddy won't be able to fix everything for them, but that he will always be there for them, offering his love and his support.

His glue.

post signature

31 comments:

Tracy said...

Awww, so sweet. That sounds like my dad growing up. He even GLUED my sister's front tooth back in her mouth when she knocked it out.

Megan Cobb said...

Awesome post - He might not fix the toy, but his love and willingness to try probably mends a lot of broken hearts!

jOni lAnE said...

Very sweet. Made me think of my dad. Mr. Fix-it. Thanks for sharing.

jaime said...

awww. so true. Kids always are over excited when you can fix something they broke...

Sue Wilkey said...

That's such a great post!!!! Dad Glue - just the willingness to try and fix it. Love it.

Annikke said...

When our 6 yo son broke the handrailing leading to the family room our 3 yo quickly piped up and said "daddy can fix it. He's a good fixer."
Dads are always there to "fix" things and like you said when they get older it will be different kinds of brokeness he will help repair but he will be there nonetheless!

Brigit said...

Wow, you made me tear up. If only all Dads were like this.

Jennifer said...

That's so sweet- what a wonderful family you are blessed with. I hope everyone out there has a dad like this- mine was and I still need his glue!

Grandma T said...

Dad and Mom......the glue that holds the family together! Another great post!!

Heather said...

What a great portrait of the father-child relationship. Just wait until they discover duct tape!

Corey~living and loving said...

oooooooooo girl! you rocked this post! LOVE IT! so true...so true. thanks for sharing.

Tina said...

Very sweet post. Love it. Great daddies are a treasure...

Laural Out Loud said...

Can your kids send a memo to my daughter, about how it's the trying that counts? Lol.

Beautiful post.

Jaina said...

I'm trying very hard NOT to start crying as I'm still at work. That was a touching story. Absolutely beautiful, and so true. For me it was my Papa. Papa can fix ANYTHING. Still can. :)

Deanna said...

Sooo precious! He is giving your sweet children a tangible example of our Heavenly Father. He has the glue for everything too!

Anti-Supermom said...

What a sweet post about your husband, plus his name is Dan too, and yours is Beth - freaky~

I love it when my children look at my husband like he is the best thing in the world!

Unknown said...

Such a sweet post...

There's a story in there...about how we can always take our brokenness to our Father.

He may not always "fix" it, but He can make it better!

Cynthia said...

Very cute! Miss Peach thinks I can fix everything with tape...I can;)

junglemama said...

Sweet. Love the last paragraph.

AlaneM said...

Oh. My. Gosh.
What a great idea! We have always taken the easy way out & explained it can't be fixed. This is partially because our kids break every-freakin-thing they own...on purpose!
I'm gonna run this by my man & see what he thinks.
Thanks!

the dragonfly said...

That's so sweet. My husband will be the one the Little Mister goes to to get things fixed...Daddy's are just good at that stuff. I still go to my dad when I need someone to listen, when something needs to be "fixed". :)

Pam said...

Aw, I love this post, especially the way that tied it to him being there no matter what "needs gluing."

Anonymous said...

Sounds like my husband- he is forever gluing crowns and all kinds of other things that I would have just given up on.

I love the idea of him continuing to be their "glue" as they get older. Great post!

Anonymous said...

So sweet and so true. I am printing this out and putting this in his reading room (ie the bathroom) for him to see. LOVE it!!!

Anonymous said...

I just realized that I forgot to say that I'm putting this in my HUSBAND's reading room in the last comment. Oops.

Unknown said...

That was such a sweet post. Daddy's are great, aren't they? Happy POW!

Carol said...

My kids think the exact same thing immediately something is broken which to be honest feels like every 12 minutes in this household.

mom2natnkatncj said...

Awww, that's great. My kids always expect daddy to be able to fix things for them too. Sometimes it works sometimes not so much.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post. Daddy is Mr. Fix it around here too!

Simply Shannon said...

That is one of the best posts ever.
Love it!

Susan said...

What a great dad! So sweet!