photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Saturday, February 9, 2008

I've hit the Mother Lode.

I've mentioned before that I am not a baker but I sure can make a mean chocolate covered pretzel stick.

Today I decided to try something a little different than just your average run of the mill pretzel stick.

I made these beauties from a recipe in Taste of Home Magazine.

They are called Mother Load Pretzels and they sure lived up to their name.

Aren't they gorgeous?

Here's the recipe in case you are interested in trying them out for yourself:

Mother Lode Pretzels

1 package (10 oz.) pretzel rods
1 package (14 oz.) caramels
1 TBS evaporated milk
Bag of minature chocolate chips
Bag of Butterscotch chips
Bag of toffee bits
1/4 c. chopped walnuts, toasted (I omitted these since my son is alergic to nuts.)


With a sharp knife, cut pretzel rods in half; set aside.
Melt caramels and milk in microwave for 3 minutes.
In a shallow bowl combine chips, toffee bits and nuts.
Pour caramel mixture into 2-cup glass measuring cup.
Dip the cut end of each pretzel piece 2/3 of the way into the caramel mixture.
Allow excess caramel to drip off*, then roll pretzel into the chip mixture.
Place on waxed paper until set.
Store in an air tight container.

Next time I make these (and there will definitely be a next time) I think I will make two batches. One batch following the recipe exactly and a second batch using white chocolate chips instead of the butterscotch chips and using Andees Mints bits instead of the toffee bits. My son has also requested that I make them using the minature M&M's. So, I guess I may be making three batches next time!

Enjoy!

*Public Service Announement - Make sure you don't get too much caramel on each pretzel or when it hardens, you won't be able to chew them. Trust me on this one!



post signature

19 comments:

Robin hill farm said...

Oh, yummy. Those look good. I'm having a total chocolate craving. Good thing my husband is at the store getting ice cream right now! :)

Mari said...

Oooh - those look so good. I may have to try that recipe!

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

I love chocolate covered pretzels. These look yummy!

Anonymous said...

Oh Good Lord Beth, those look soooo yummy. I am PMSing and those chocolate/caramel/pretzel thingy's look awesome. Thanks for posting the pic :)

Brittany said...

OH MY WORD! I cannot see the photo...and I have to see the photo... AH! lol Sounds yummmo.

Karen MEG said...

Those look soooooo good!!! I'm gonna have to try it!

Bonnie said...

Tasty looking !!

Ann(ie) said...

OHMYLAWD!!! Those look so beautiful! mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Chelle' said...

These absolutely CAN NOT be good for anyone...

I LOVE THEM!

the dragonfly said...

Looks yummy!!

jennwa said...

You need to make 4 batches, that way I get a batch. Do not forget my birthday is coming.
They were delicious, we finished those off you gave us, that day. Yummy.

Megan Cobb said...

Oh those look so yummy AND easy! They would make really neat Valentine treats for the neighbors around here, I'm thinking! Thanks for the idea!

Bluegrass Mama said...

Those look wonderful! I'm not a big fan of butterscotch chips, so I think I'd go straight to the white ones on my first try.

Zaankali said...

Argh! We are again snowed in and now I am craving these BIG TIME!
Smiles!

the mother of this lot said...

Normally I would be rushing out to buy the ingredients, but I have given up chocolate for Lent!

Laura said...

Would you do all of us a favor and do a RE-POST after Lent? YUM!!!

Annikke said...

Those look "to die for"!!! I will give those a shot! Yummy!! Thanks for sharing!

Jen said...

Num, num. Will try these for sure!

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

My first time by...found you through Mari's blog (I just love her, don't you?!?)

I enjoyed my time here...your place is just lovely!

I am a lover of the chocolate covered pretzels..gotta try this recipe.

Blessings, Joanne