photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

May the force be with me - trying to make a Star Wars birthday cake is harder than you think!

Peter recovered from his bug so we had his friend birthday party on Monday night. That worked out well since the kids were out of school on Tuesday for Veteran's Day so we were still able to do the sleepover.

Peter is into Star Wars The Clone Wars right now and decided that he would like a Star Wars 'theme' to his party. I use the word theme loosely because other than the Clone Wars cartoon, he is clueless about Star Wars.

And so am I.

I saw the first Star Wars movie when it came out in 1977 and I haven't seen one since. I was eight so I don't really remember anything about the movie except that our church youth group went to see it and we were all so excited.

I remember being outside waiting in line and I remember looking down and seeing a plaque on the ground.

The plaque said that buried in that spot was a time capsule that was placed there when the movie theatre was built and it wasn't to be opened until the year 2000.

I was eight. It was 1977. And the year 2000 was incomprehensible to my little mind.

I remember asking one of the youth leaders if I would still be alive in the year 2000. He laughed and said "yes". Then I asked him if he would be alive in the year 2000. He laughed again and responded with "I hope so"!

Good news. We are both alive.

Bad news. I don't really remember anything about the movie. So I had to search the Internet for Star Wars cakes. It didn't take me long to realize that I wasn't going to be able to do it.

Almost every cake I found was shaped to look like one of the characters and was molded using FONDANT.

I've watched enough episodes of "Ace of Cakes" on Food Network to know that fondant is out of my league. Waaaaaaaaay out of my league.

I did discover that Wilson makes a pan shaped like Darth Vadar's head but Peter decided he didn't like that.

Several people had made light sabre cakes. Basically they took sheet cakes and cut them and pieced them together to form a light sabre.

Now that I could do! But Peter's response was, "That's so lame mom. Why don't we get action figures and put them on the cake."

Action figures! I can buy action figures!

So I made a round chocolate cake, frosted it with white icing (both at his request) and put Star Wars action figures on it. And do you know what his response was?

"I thought you were going to put the action figures on a light sabre cake?"

Oops! I guess we had a little miscommunication there.

The cake is not one of my finest cake decorating moments but it tasted good and Peter had a good time at his party.

And in the end, that's really all that matters to a 6-year-old anyway!

A clone aiming his gun at two droids. And yes! One of them has been knocked over for effect. That was Peter's idea. (And why is it so hard to frost a cake?? I used THREE containers of frosting in an attempt to hide all the chocolate crumbs.)

Blowing out the number 6 candle!





post signature

20 comments:

Annikke said...

Oh fun! Cute cake!!

Glad is Peter is better.. I am still recovering from my stomach bug!

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Too funny! Miscommunication!!! Isn't that how we moms always feel.

That sounds about like my cake decorating!

I am glad he is feeling better and able to have a birthday party after all. Much fun!

He & Me + 3 said...

Looks great to me & it tasted good? You are a rockstar in my book. I go with cupcakes every birthday now, because cakes are way out of my league.

Anonymous said...

You are my heroine. I think I've baked a cake before, I can't actually remember so maybe it was just a dream.

Pam said...

Precisely the reason I don't sell DECORATED cakes!

Tracy said...

I am impressed again, but your craftiness! I haven't baked a cake...well, ever! Great job! He looks very happy with it!

Maggie said...

You did a great job! That looks YUMMY!! I can taste the frosting now, DE-lis!! =)

jennwa said...

That is my kind of cake. I loved it and I know my kids did too. I only wish I had a piece of it. Your mom's cake are the best.

Mari said...

I'm glad he got better and could have his party. I think your Star Wars cake is great - I know I couldn't do any better!

Lisa said...

What a great Mom to try so hard to make his birthday special. My husband LOVES Starwars. After we'd been dating a couple of weeks he made me watch the beginning movies. We were joking around & said, "If we ever get married and have a boy lets name him Luke". Ten years later that's still our boys name :)

Wendy said...

We did the Star Wars party for Xander when the last movie came out. Terry (our resident cake decorator)just took a square cake covered it in black icing and we put a figurine of Darth Vadar and one of Annikan (sp?) on top. He loved it and then got the toys to play with afterwards.

Be glad he didn't want a Transformers cake. There are no pans for it yet. Terry did one of those this summer for him and just took a race car cake pan and decorated it yellow to look like Bumblebee. That one was a bit harder.

Sue Wilkey said...

OMG I am laughing because that looks WAY easier than making a light sabre or a spaceship!!!!! Nice job.

Just me said...

Great job on the Peter's birthday cake! The twins' birthday is coming up and I don't know what cakes I'm making for them!
I really enjoyed your post!:)

Totallyscrappy said...

You know, I thought it was a pretty ordinary cake until I spotted the one SLAIN DROID. Now, that was brilliant birthday boy thought there! :) My three (make that four) boys love Star Wars, too. (I've discovered if you nod and do a lot of smiling they love it!)

Christina said...

That looks great. I am not much of a cake decorator but yours sure came out nice.

Jaina said...

I'm sure it tasted delicious!!! Happy birthday Peter!

Rebekah said...

Star Wars has always held a special place in my heart. I was 6 and my Dad took us to see Star Wars. It was the first movie I'd ever seen in a Theater.

Home made cakes are the best!!

Donna @ Way More Homemade said...

Know what? My m.i.l saved and gave me the Wilton R2D2 cake pan that she used when dh was little... probably after Empire Strikes Back... that's Episode 5, by the way.

:)

Donna

Megan said...

too funny- i TOTALLY have done the purchasing little plastic animals/etc for the tops of our cakes! hello, easy!

Megan

Laural Out Loud said...

I laughed so hard when I read the part about using three cans of frosting to hide the chocolate crumbs! I can't frost a chocolate cake to save my life.