photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Mr. Potato Turkey

Yesterday Jennifer and I were in charge of the Thanksgiving celebration in my son's kindergarten class.

We sang songs, read a story and manned 4 centers. One of the centers was the craft center and we made these cute little Turkey Potatoes.


I had already cut the beaks and the wattles out of construction paper and glued them to toothpicks. So all the kids had to do were poke them into the potato along with feathers. They also had to glue the eyeballs on to the potato.

I thought this would be an easy craft for the kids but it turned out to be a little more frustrating for them than I had anticipated.

A lot of the craft feathers broke because they kids were so eager to cram place them into the turkey's back. So I ended up having to help most of them with the feathers.

And even good old Elmer's glue was no match for googly eyes and potatoes.

I guess we won't be making potato Santa Clause heads at the Christmas celebration.

post signature

14 comments:

Brittany said...

oh my goodness! That is SO cute!

Chris said...

Wow Beth! That looks so cute!

That teacher must love having such prepared parents come into the class for parties! :)

Crafts can be the most frustrating things. Especially with younger kids. The smallest detail can throw a wrench in the words.

I'm sure they still loved the party!

:)

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Denise said...

Those are really cute sweetie.

jaime said...

that's so funny!!

We had craft day at the rec center here yesterday and made 2 turkey people things...and i'm gonna have to post it- all the moms were basically doing the project cuz it was just too hard for the lil ones. i'd have to say, i did a pretty darn good job too! lol!

Donna @ Way More Homemade said...

Unfortunate that it was frustrating because how CUTE is that? Do you think it would help if the potatoes were partially cooked? THinking it might be a cute craft for my two kids to do at home as a centerpiece.

Annikke said...

Those are really cute though!

Aimee said...

Precisely why I am a non-crafty mom. I would have been right there next to the kids trying to jam the feathers into the potato :)

Very cute, though!

Merrily Down the Stream said...

and you know I have a thing about wattles...

McMommy said...

I want to make those now for Thanksgiving. I could use them as placecard holder-like thingys!!

Anonymous said...

That is too bad. It looks really cute though.

Jaina said...

But it looks so cute! I'm sorry it didn't come out exactly as planned.

He & Me + 3 said...

They may not have been the easiest to make, but they are the cutest little turkeys I have ever seen. Great job!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Good idea, but I can totally picture the Kindergarteners a little too eager for the feather stabbing.

Also from my own personal experience with parties, I try not to do anything that require Elmer's glue. It does not get a chance to set before they have to take it home.

KEEP BELIEVING