photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday - Ice Cream Cone Cup Cakes

Last Wednesday was Sarah's fourth birthday and we had several of her friends over for a party. There was no real theme and no real games. Just a craft and a pinata.

But I did make the cutest cupcakes and thought I would share them with you.

Ingredients:

1 box of cupcake mix
2 tubs of frosting
2 boxes of ice cream cones
Decorative Candy - sprinkles, colored Twizzlers, pull-apart Twizzlers, gum drops, candy fruit slices

Directions:

Prepare the cupcake mix according to directions on box.

Fill ice cream cones about 3/4 full.



Place filled cups in mini muffin pan.

***Please note - after these are baked and decorated, they will be top heavy and will be subject to tipping over. I speak from experience. Be very careful!***

Bake 15-20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.


Frost generously when cupcakes have cooled.

Then cover with sprinkles and top with half of a gum drop.



If you are feeling extra crafty, you can even decorate with other candy to make all sorts of designs.

Sarah had chosen a butterfly pinata so I attempted to make some butterflies on top of the cupcakes.

I cut candy fruit slices in half for the wings. And used colored Twizzlers for the body. (You could also use gummy worms...that might look more realistic.) Then I cut little bits of pull-apart Twizzlers for the antenna.


They were easy to make and the kids loved them and that works for me!

For more Works For Me Wednesday tips and tricks, head over to Shannon's place.


post signature

20 comments:

jennwa said...

They were soooo good. And they were so cute.

Rebekah said...

Thank you for posting this along with pictures. My daughter's birthday is approaching and I have been thinking about what kind of cake to make for her

My friend made these for her girl and was telling me about them. I loved the idea but was a little nervous about how they would turn out.

Now I have a good idea of how they will turn out. Thanks again!

AutoSysGene said...

Those are adorable and easy to make. I'll have to remember that for Hope's bday!!

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

I can't begin to tell you how adorable these are! Maybe for my daughter's 4th birthday next March I can do something like this!

I'm going to be doing a giveaway soon for a birthday party planning book...I need to link to this as a fab tip!

Tina said...

oo oo oo! SO CUTE!! LOVE these!

Family O'Foxes said...

wow! those are so cute! I want that for my b-day...hee hee!
:)
~Amy

Miranda said...

SO CUTE! I just had a girl and I can't to do things like this for her. Love the pictures. I'll bet if you got REALLY crafty you could use fruit roll ups for wings....hmmm

Annikke said...

Those are way to cute!! I think I will have to give those a try!

Darcy said...

I bought two boxes of icecream cones with these in mind. I just hadn't looked up the recipe online yet! Thanks for posting it...they are super cute!

Brittany said...

OHHH how fun!!!

I could make those boy-like, right? right. lol

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures. I had heard of these before, but I did not understand how it all went together.

They look like lots of fun and I know my kids would love licking off all the frosting!

Jodi said...

These are so cute! I think I might actually be able to do these, too, thanks to your pictures!

Lisa said...

Those are adorable - and they always taste so delish!

Jaina said...

Too cool! Boy, everyone on my reader seems determined to make me eat cupcakes! Those look delicious! I may have to try making them sometime

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna have to try these! They look fantastic.

AlaneM said...

Oh how cute are those??
I did cone cakes for my son's first birthday but did not decorate like that!

McMommy said...

I could eat a row of those right now.

Yummmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

jaime said...

OH I LOVE THIS! thanks for sharing...i will give this a try soon!

Amy Jo said...

That's adorable!!!! Seriously!

Tonya Staab said...

FABULOUS IDEA. I just loved it.

Hope you don't mind but I've posted a link to this blog post on my party planning blog

http://munchkinsandmayhem.blogspot.com/2008/09/party-links-my-top-picks_14.html