photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Thursday, June 26, 2008

I know you are, but what am I?

On Tuesday, the ice cream man came by the house and the kids bought ice cream - with their own money. I'm so mean.

It was right before dinner so I told them they could have the ice cream but they couldn't have any dessert after dinner. Hey dessert before dinner! I'm so much fun!

I figured that was a fair trade.

They happily agreed and ate their ice cream. Minutes after eating the ice cream, Sarah saunters over to me and puts her sticky little hand on her hip and said, "Mommy, can we have dessert after supper too?"

"No. Remember I told you if you ate the ice cream from the ice cream man, you weren't going to have dessert after dinner."

"Well, I want dessert after dinner too!" She said stomping her foot.

"Well you can't have it." I said.

silence

"Well. Well. You're fat!" she said and stomped away.

"I know you are, but what am I?" I said and stomped away.

O.k. I didn't really say that, but I wanted to. Instead she got the lecture on not saying mean things to people and hurting other people's feelings. blah, blah, blah

It would have been much more fun the other way though.

post signature

23 comments:

Rebekah said...

Those moments are so hard to resist. Sometimes being the grown up isnt so much fun

Family Adventure said...

Life's hard sometimes, isn't it?!

Heidi *giggle*

the dragonfly said...

Wow..I can't believe she said that to you! And I'm impressed that you didn't say that back to her...it would have been hard to resist!

:)

Sue Wilkey said...

Oh My God!!!! I would have been so devastated!!!!! That's probably the worst thing anyone could call me.

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Yes. Kids say the meanest things sometimes. My kids have started the whole "I hate you" thing. They have only said it to me once, but they say it to each other a lot. It is painful to hear.

KEEP BELIEVING

Maude Lynn said...

Being mature is no fun at all! I say the most immature things that you can imagine to my daughter . . . in my head!

Deanna said...

Oh, man, that is like taking a sword and stabbing us!!

Gettysburg Mom said...

Honestly, I would have said it. Which explains a lot about my kids.

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

It is too much sometimes, not to regress and act like a kid! Nice restraint!

Anonymous said...

Ha! As a dad I can relate...nice post! :)

Grandma T said...

Oh dear, I guess I'm bad....I thought that was kinda funny!!!!

Tina said...

haha...

Maybe what we should do is show our kids pictures of the 1000lb man and say THIS if at...and then we'll never have to worry about them calling us or anyone else fat again.

Surely they'll never run into the 1000lb man...

Ok...maybe my logic is bad.

I like your Pee Wee Herman quote better!

duchess said...

Sometimes I'll come back with an unexpected answer just to take the edge of. It throws them for a loop & then I get a laugh.

Michelle said...

Oh, If I can count the times I wanted to stomp my feet too!

Sometimes being the grown up just stinks!

Unknown said...

OH Beth!

This post made me laugh out loud! Only because I am so grateful it happens to other Mom's too!

I took my daughter into a dressing room with me when she hollered, "Mom, i just love to feel your squishy belly!"

Yeah, they keep you humble!

3boys247 said...

I hope you ate her dessert after dinner!

Briya said...

I'm impressed. I don't know if it wouldn't said it anyway. (I'm SO childish..LOL)

Anti-Supermom said...

I DO do that sometimes, but Henry doesn't get it. He's like, huh? Mom, you're joking right?

It will work someday!

Carol said...

What a little monkey!

It is so tempting to retaliate like a child sometimes.

Good for you for taking the higher ground.

I hope you ate all the dessert.

AlaneM said...

Oh, I can SO relate!!

McMommy said...

I ditto what 3boys247 said!!

I'm the kind of girl who never has a good comeback, you know? My kids are going to say stuff like that to me....and it'll take me two days to come up with a "Oh yeah?? Well...(fill in good comeback here)"

Jaina said...

How mean! I wish you'd said that...the look on her face would have been priceless I bet!

jOni lAnE said...

How about this one, "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me!"...and then stick out your tongue. Mature. ;)
Happy POW!
Smiles,
Joni