photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Friday, June 19, 2009

I have a confession to make.

I am almost 40. (Nope. That's not the confession. I've mentioned it many times here. Plus, the wrinkles tend to give it away!)

My confession is that I am almost 40 and I have been a Christian my entire life and I have never read the Bible cover to cover.

It always seemed like such a daunting task. A daunting AND boring one. I mean who wants to willingly plod through Exodus, Numbers and Deuteronomy?

But lately, Sarah and Peter keep asking me what "my favorite book in the whole wide world" is. And I always answer "The Bible." Because it is, of course, the greatest book ever written. And it is The Word given to us from God. How could it not be "my favorite book in the whole wide world?"

And then I started feeling a little guilty. If I believe that it truly is the greatest book ever written then why haven't I read it all, cover to cover?

One day while looking up a Bible verse at BibleGateway.com, I saw something that caught my eye. It said Read The Bible In 90 Days!

I was intrigued so I clicked on the link. Zondervan has published the NIV Bible so that if you read 12 pages a day, you can read it in just 90 days. If you don't want to purchase a new Bible, BibleGateway.com has bookmarked the 12 pages you are to read or you can receive them via RSS feed.

How could I not do this? 12 pages a day? I decided to go for it!

And I'm so glad I did. I'm currently on Day 17.

The Israelites have made it out of the wilderness and I feel as if I have too. Reading Exodus, Numbers and Deuteronomy weren't as hard as I thought they would be but I'm glad to say that I'm on to a little more exciting reading now.

And I am enjoying this way more than I thought I would. And I am wishing that I hadn't waited until the ripe old age of 39 to start this.

I read my 12 pages early in the morning before the rest of the house is up and what a wonderful way to start my day.

And I will admit, I have fallen a few days behind. I decided that I will not read my 12 pages on the weekends. I try to sleep in until the kids get up on Saturdays and Sundays and once they are up, I can't focus my full attention on my reading.

So if I stick with my it Monday through Friday, I will be able to read the Bible in 112 days. That's not too shabby!

If you are interested, check it out at BibleGateway.com.

16 comments:

Jessica Ryan said...

happy birthday... soon! I have you beat by a couple of years... i've read a kids bible... does that count? ;) You've been tagged btw!

Mari said...

I'm 48 and I haven't done it either. I'm reading the Chronological Bible now though, so well I won't do it in 112 like you - I will do it!

Kim said...

I am proud of you! What a goal to achieve.

Jaina said...

That's awesome! I should do this as well. You always inspire me. :)

Ann said...

What a great idea! I am definitely checking it out. Thanks for the idea.

Denise said...

That is really awesome sweetie.

Suburban Correspondent said...

Take heart - you don't have to read it front-to-back! Someone once compared it to a library, and you don't have to read the books in order there.

I don't think I could ever plow through Deuteronomy.

Anonymous said...

Me either....it is one of my goal!

jennwa said...

I could not think of a better goal to have for yourself.

Anonymous said...

You're doing a great thing- and inspiring others to follow you!
I loved yourprevious post btw...i had to smile. I trip up over the books left by my family...of it's not that it's the dog's blanket that he's dragged in there!
Bella from Bella Mocha:)

So glad you stopped by again:)

Ika Devita Susanti said...

Wow!! You're doing great!! I can't finish exodus. lol. but now you inspired me not to give up on this but fght to read it instead. I once ever subscribe bible reading like yours, but I don't know where, I forget it, because they never send me the daily bible reading. I don't know where my email adress (which I typed it to subscribe) gone. Since I move to this another island, I forget to bring my bible collection and I am so sad but I think I will try your suggestion. Thank you for sharing.

and Hey!, life begin at 40 :D Cheer up!

Love ya!

Annikke said...

WAY TO GO. 12 pages a day seems so hard though! I followed one of those "read the Bible in a year" plans a couple years ago and I enjoyed it (I didn't think I would!)

Kimberly said...

I've read the Bible through a few times in the past, but I am also working on reading the Bible through this year, although I have NO intentions on finishing it. I am trying to really enjoy each book, even Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy :-)
I am currently in Judges, which is pretty good so far.
Good luck on working your way through. I'm going to check out the links you mentioned.

rhemashope said...

Awesome! I've done the Read The Bible in a year schedule before. It was good in that each day you read some from the OT and some from the New Testament and some from Psalms or Proverbs. But I like the idea of a 90 day or 112-day schedule so that you don't get bogged down.
Lord bless her as she reads.

Musings of a Housewife said...

Good for you! I am the same. I tried to do it once, but I never finished. I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Rebekah said...

I knew a kid in school that read the Bible several times before he graduated. I always thought it noble but could never make it past all those "who begat who"s.

I did read it one time with a Yearly Bible. It broke it down into different sections which made it a little less boring.

But like my Dad always said- too many people focus on the Old Testament. The New Testament is what we should be reading. The New covenant with Christ- not the Old.

Happy Reading