photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Where did THAT come from?

Tuesday was Kindergarten registration day at the elementary school my son will be attending in the fall. I went with Jennwa. She was registering her son Colton and I was registering Peter.

It was a rainy afternoon but I was in good spirits. My son, my first born, would be going to school in the fall. I felt like I had made it. I'm not sure why I felt this way but I felt triumphant. We were approaching another milestone but I was happy about this one. I felt good about it -

or so I thought.

Let me just say that I am not generally a sappy person and I am not known to cry easily. Back in the day, my personal motto was "never let 'em see you cry". This motto served me well during long periods when all of my girlfriends had boyfriends and I had to spend many Saturday nights alone and again when I worked at a stressful job in a male-dominated company.

But since having kids, I am now much more likely to cry than I used to be. My guess is that just like the black Enfamil diaper bag, the descriptions of how baby poop should look at different stages, and the blue bulb nose aspirator, the hospital also sends new moms home with some special teary-eyed hormone after delivering your first baby.

But that's just a guess.

The school had stations set up to make registration flow smoothly. The first station was check-in where they confirmed that I had all the required documentation. The next station was a notary public who watched as I signed a form stating that all the documents I brought were mine and that I was who I said I was. At the third station, I signed up for a time in May for my son's assessment to make sure he is 'kindergarten ready'.

And the fourth and final station was the spot where I told them that yes, my little man would be riding the bus. When I said those words out loud, there was a catch in my throat.

Oh crap! Am I going to cry, I thought shocked at this catch in my throat and the tears that I could feel coming. Do not cry The first day of school is 5 months away. Do not stand here and cry. Stop being such a dork.

I cleared my throat a few times and blinked my eyes and shoved all the sadness that I was suddenly feeling back down into the pit of my stomach where it came from.

I proceeded to the book fair that was set up in the library and calmed myself while I mulled over a Rachel Ray cookbook. After all, who can be sad staring at that perky face?

I made it home with no tears and no embarrassing show of emotion, but all I can say, is that you people do not want to be around here at the end of August. I am predicting a lot of tears and a lot of sappy blog posts.

It could get ugly.

post signature

25 comments:

Steph said...

How sweet! I am typically not the sappy type either, but I did get pretty emotional. I didn't cry, but I think it helped that Ciara was so excited. My friendly little tip? Take the ENTIRE day off from work...you will thank yourself! :)

Megan Cobb said...

:) On the contrary, I'm kinda looking forward to the sappy posts. I know they'll be really sweet and they'll help me get prepared for my own lil sad moments. Consider it a public service? *hugs* - I'm very empathetic, though. I get teary eyed when Bean runs out to meet me after her 40 minute KidRock class, all beaming and saying, "MA MAAAAAAAAAA!" Oh, they are the BEST things, these lil people of ours.

Brittany said...

aww.... I will sob the day my boys go to school! it's ok... it's our right as parents, I think!

Tina said...

Aw...I still have a YEAR and five months...and I already know that I'll be a mess!!

You do what you need to do!

Zaankali said...

Big Hugs! I am on the other end, next year will start the last year of school for my baby and it is KILLING ME! Expect a lot of tears.
Smiles!

Rebekah said...

I didnt cry when I signed my boys up for school. But I did cry when they stepped on the bus.
I was fine when they went to pre-school, probalby because I dropped off and picked up. ~ but there is something different when they get on that big, independent yellow bus.

Don Mills Diva said...

I know I am going to be a blubbering mess when the day comes for me...

AutoSysGene said...

And that's ok. Hope started riding the bus in preschool so I had this experience last year. This year my neighbors son rode the bus for the first time. I looked over and she was crying and I told her "this is a good thing, mom." What I didn't say was "this is a hard thing, mom."

Hang in there!

Annikke said...

I took the day off of work the first day my first born went to kindergarten. I bawled like a little baby when he so proudly put on that back pack that was too big for him. I sat at home waiting for school to end so I could rush back and get him.

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

I didn't cry when Gavin went to the first day of school, but I cried the first day I put him on the bus. I will cry worse when my baby goes. I will miss them terribly.
KEEP BELIEVING

Kellan said...

Oh, it is hard. I think is is defintely harder on us moms than on the little ones! I had to follow the bus for days before I was truly comfortable "letting them go" (my twins). It will be okay - you will see.

Thanks for the prayers for our baby - we hare hoping for the best, obviously, and we appreciate all the prayers! See you soon. Kellan

Daisy said...

I can tell you from experience -- it will be hard having your first go to Kindergarten. Just prep yourself now for tears. :-)

But, it'll be OK...you'll see. But...the BUS? You are brave. I am still controlling enough to drive them to/from school (20 mins away) which is killing me in gas! I can't let go THAT much.

Corey~living and loving said...

Isn't it interesting how it hits us so suddenly. This happens to me alllllllllllllllll the time. over really strange things.
I got teary telling Sugar's Preschool teacher that she peed in the potty this morning. LOL

carrie said...

You think that's bad?

I just had to go to MIDDLE SCHOOL ORIENTATION for my first born!

I want to run away now, thankyouverymuch.

And so you know, I cried on his first day of kindergarten too. It's okay if you do! :)

Amy said...

I am probably going to be the same exact way. Part of me welcomes this milestone and part of me is a blubbering idiot when I think of my little precious boy riding on a school bus, wearing a uniform, and dealing with big kid stuff. We held our son back a year.I thought it would prepare me more...boy, was I wrong!

Bonnie said...

Ah yes ... the first day of Kindergarden ! I can't believe that it has been 3 years since we did that with Jono ! Alia starts next year ...

Tears are good ... just make sure you take tissues because a stream of snot running down a grown womans face is not so good !!

jennwa said...

I cried on the first day of school for my 2 older ones and I probably will for Colton too. AAhh, Maybe not.
Anyway, with Cody I was so bad I followed his bus to school on the first day. How silly did that look. That poor boy.

elizabeth embracing life said...

you might want to invest in a nice pair of sunglasses. I know that the tears are embracing here. It is a huge milestone and it's amazing that we get here so fast.

Andrea @ Mommy Snacks.net said...

I didn't "lose it" on my oldest son's first day of kindergarten because it was a private school and much like day care for us. But, when he went to public school in 1st grade, and got on the bus that first day...."let the river flow." I'm not a crier, at all actually. I lost it.

And, it doesn't get any better either. Every year he gets on that bus, a little piece of my heart aches knowing that my baby is growing older and needs me less. I guess it's a sign that we're doing something right because our kids are growing up healthy and can make it on their own (in the school world at least).

Christina said...

Oh you poor girl. I think this milestone is a catch 22. You are happy to see your little one going off into the world to learn all new things and experience a little life without mommy, but then it is kind of sad when they are around all day and you are used to them being there. I will say you will get used to it quickly especially when you are getting all those cute little things they make for mommy in kindergarten, Like magnets, and paintings, and cards, etc. This makes it so much easier.

Queen of My Domain said...

Don't worry, we all get sappy when we think of our babies going to school. And the first time my son rode the bus was hard for me to.

Karen MEG said...

My little G will be starting junior kindergarten this fall too ... she just turned 3!!! I'll be sobbing with you, Beth ;)

Mari said...

I feel your pain. I became a cryer when I had kids. FOr some reason they make a person get teary eyed far too easily. I hate to tell you this, but it doesn't get better. My youngest is 19 and it still hits me!

Cathy, Amy and Kristina said...

My oldest starts kindergarten in the fall. Our roundup day is later this month, and I'm predicting a bit of weepiness here as well...

Anonymous said...

My twins turn 5 later this month. We will be doing Kindergarten registration in April. I am really dreading it. I want them to grow up and be healthy and smart. At the same time, I love having them home with me most of the day everyday. I will miss them so much.