photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

How do you wear a hand print t-shirt? With a big smile of course!

Before we left for the beach, my son came home from preschool with a package wrapped in tissue paper. It was my Mother's Day present.

He was so excited as I eagerly tore into the wrapping paper.

"Do you like it Mommy? Do you like?" he asked.

"Of course I do honey!" I replied.

It was a t-shirt (that I had to send in the week before) that he had painted. I loved the painting. It was two hand print flowers with fingerprint bees buzzing around.

And I can't stress enough that I love the painting. I love it when my kids bring home artwork that has been made out of their hand prints.

I love it because I know those little hands aren't going to be that little much longer and I know when I'm 90 and I'm riffling through the attic, I will be brought to tears by how small they once were. In fact, I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it now.

But on a t-shirt? What's wrong with artwork on a piece of paper? That has been, I don't know - framed?

I hung the shirt in the closet hoping that I could just enjoy the painting without having to actually wear the shirt.

Fast forward to yesterday.

After we got home from preschool, I went upstairs to change my clothes. Yesterday was the last meeting of MOPS for the year and I tried to look a little cuter than normal. I even wore my wedge heels! But try doing laundry and making lunch in wedge heels. It's just not practical so up I went to change.

On the way up to my room Peter asked me when I was going to wear the t-shirt he so lovingly made for me. O.k. so he didn't add that last part, but he did ask me when I was going to wear the t-shirt. The mommy guilt that constantly swirls around in my head added the last part.

So being the good mother that I am, I dutifully put it on. He was thrilled. He gave me two very large hugs and went off on his merry way very unaware that his 38 year-old mother felt a wee bit foolish wearing a t-shirt with two big hand prints right on the chest.

Being the fashionista that I am, I paired the shirt with my baggy haven't-been-washed-in-4-days-even-though-they-been-worn-4-days-in-a-row Levi Capri's and my bare feet.

Because I just don't think I'm mom enough to pull it off with my wedge heels.

post signature

25 comments:

Zaankali said...

What a great mom!
Smiles!

Anonymous said...

You are a better mom than me!

I love your built in bookcase. Exactly what I have wanted in my family room for the past six years!

jennwa said...

First, you did look exceptionally cute yesterday at MOPS!!!

I love that t-shirt, it is sooooo cute.

Anonymous said...

The t-shirt is very cute and that was great of you to wear it for him!

I saw your shoes yesterday and meant to ask if they were the same ones from the shoe contest! Very cute shoes!

Musings of a Housewife said...

It's so cute, though! :-)

Don Mills Diva said...

I have a feeling we'll be seeing that shirt on all the runways this fall.

Tina said...

It's very cute!
It could be your house-cleaning shirt...then no one will see it but that very proud son of yours!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Lovely. I think the wedges would have added just that perfect touch, though.

KEEP BELIEVING

AutoSysGene said...

That is the most adorable shirt!!

Family Adventure said...

You look GREAT! And I bet you had a very, very proud boy :)

Heidi

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

Your mom heart is being worn on the outside in that picture my friend.

You are too cute. Your kiddos are blessed to have you for their very own.

Tracy said...

You are such a good sport! :) I probably would have said, oh I am so sorry I can't wear it! Don't want to get it dirty! I am sure the MOPS moms understood!

Kellan said...

I think it is very cute - you are a super mom and look adorable in that sweet t-shirt!

Have a good day - Kellan

Annikke said...

That is a great T-shirt. I wish I had one (with my kids handprints of course!) ;0)

Scribbit said...

That cracked me up--it looks great by the way--but when I first started into it I worried about where the sweet child had naively put those handprints :) It would be awkward to wear a shirt with the prints in certain places no matter how much mother love I had :)

carrie said...

You're the best.

And I think I know what you can get his teacher for an end-of-the-year gift! ;)

Melissa said...

oh what sweet kids you have :) That is actually kinds of cute :)

Jaina said...

Aww, what a good mommy! And hey, you look great in that shirt, it's super cute!

Momisodes said...

That is the cutest shirt ever :) Your such an awesome mom...and yes you could totally pull off the wedge heels ;)

Christy said...

I must say you looked pretty hip at the MOPS meeting yesterday. I loved the shoes.

You did the right thing wearing your handprint shirt at home. Peter won't know the difference.
I would have done the same thing.
The shirt is really cute!

Donna @ Way More Homemade said...

I so TOTALLY thought the hand-prints were going to end up in some inopportune places.

Love it!

Anna B. said...

Bravo! Bravo! So cute...

Brittany said...

aw the shirt is so sweet and filled with love! :) Good mommy for wearing it!

Chelle' said...

I just love you to pieces Beth. And love that you're wearing that shirt.

And, if I may say so myself... you look little. Your commitment to littleness is working. (Littleness... hee-hee)

Love ya girl-

Deanna said...

Work it girlfriend! I could lend you my "made out of a melted medicine bottle" pin and your ensemble would be complete.