photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Maybe it's worth it after all.

I made the decision a few weeks ago that I was going to do a little spring shopping for myself. I decided that this spring I was going to look nice for a change. I'm tired of looking like a dumpy middle aged mother of two.

I want to look cute again! Is that possible for someone who is 38? Is cute out of the question?

So after reading a few inspirational fashion posts at BigMama and Musings of a Housewife, I went shopping.

I hate to shop for myself because it always seems like such a waste. I mean, pretty much the extent of my day consists of dropping kids off at preschool and going to Wal-Mart and having play dates with my friend Jennifer.

But I do go to church every Sunday and out to dinner with my husband or lunch with friends occasionally, so I decided to shop for cute outfits for these outings and stick with my t-shirt look for the rest of the time, because really, do I need to be wearing wedge heels and a sassy skirt to Wal-Mart?

No. I think not.

One of my purchases was one of those trapeze/swing/baby doll tops that can make you look pregnant if you aren't careful. Let's be honest. These shirts can make a 104 pound, 5'11" woman look pregnant. So the rest of us don't stand a chance!

This past Sunday, I put it on for church with a pair of black capri pants. My husband gave me a look when I came out of the closet and then a nervous smile.

I told him that everyone was wearing this style even though it looks like a maternity shirt. He breathed a sigh of relief and said, "I was going to say something but then thought better of it."

He's been well trained.

We discussed the fact that if I sucked in my stomach the shirt wouldn't make me look like I had a baby bump. And yes, we actually used the phrase "baby bump" in our conversation. Clearly we read to much People Magazine and watch too much Soup.

I put my shoes on and headed downstairs thinking that trying to be fashionable was too much trouble, especially if it meant sucking in my stomach and trying to walk without stumbling in wedge heels.

At the bottom of the steps, my son saw me and got a big smile on his face and said, "You look pretty mommy."

I almost cried. My son thinks I look pretty!

Perhaps trying to look cute is worth it after all.
post signature

32 comments:

Brittany said...

I have some of those prego looking shirts, too! And... when I wear them to church, I get a whole bunch of looks and whispers. NO we are not expecting again, people! You would think they know everyone looks pregnant in them. haha.

Donna @ Way More Homemade said...

Yeah, I just can't get with those shirts. Maybe all the maternity stuff is still too recent of a memory for me, maybe it's because of the 25-30 lbs I lost last year, but I just can't get with it. I've tried and can't. Give me a waist-line people! OK - I'm done.
Good for you. We get so caught up in doing for dh and kids that we neglect ourselves too often. Enjoy your new look!

Daisy said...

That is fabulous! Good for you!

My son did the same thing recently. I actually got up, showered, did my hair and my makeup. I was just finishing and my son says simply, "Momma you're beautiful." I loved the fact that he said *I* was beautiful and that I didn't *look* beautiful.

Yes, it made me cry too.

Tina said...

Oh! I LOVE my 'I only look like I have a baby bump' shirts!! :)
So comfy AND cute!!

I went back to read your t-shirt post...we are SO much alike. I've added a few new t-shirts...but I've also gotten a couple of cute tissue-weight shirts from Target...those have a little more something going for them.

Mari said...

You are right about those shirts - they really do have that effect! What a nice thing that your son noticed!

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

What a good boy!

I can't seem to manage those tops. I "do" feel like I look pregnant in them. I'm barely 5 ft 2", though, and I think that contributes sto my fear of looking prego!

Maude Lynn said...

Awww!

Suburban Correspondent said...

I love it when one of my boys notices a new shirt on me, or a new haircut. It's so charming.

Amy said...

I hope you felt good after that! =)

Family Adventure said...

What a lovely boy you've got there :)

Heidi

Jaina said...

I think you can totally do it, and good for you! And good job for rocking the sling shirt, they can be super cute. :)

Magpie said...

I love it when my daughter tells me I'm pretty. :)

Tracy said...

To cute! I bet you did look "pretty"! There's nothing better than getting your husband and your son's approval! :)

Michelle said...

You are beautiful. When your children tell you or not.

Corey~living and loving said...

My heart would have been full as well. So sweet. and yes....38 can definately be CUTE!

Anonymous said...

I got one of those shirts too, but I can't seem to find the right thing to wear with it. Ugh.

Being cute is hard work!

tommie said...

Those shirts are a fine line....

I am a FIRM believer in having at least a few outfits that make you feel WOW! Lunch with the girls or hubby, or whatever. Very much worth it!

Bonnie said...

Sometimes they say just the right thing at just the right time !!!

Heather said...

Isn't it funny that I love it more when my sons compliment me than when my husband does?

3XMom said...

I love getting new clothes and feeling good about myself! congrats!

carrie said...

That is so sweet!

OHmommy said...

And that is why every mother needs a son!


He is too cute.

Ann(ie) said...

I wear those tops all of the time. I gain all my weight in the middle and instead of combatting it with sit up's I just buy preggo tops to hide the spare tire, but it doesn't really hide anything. *sigh*

AND I adore Musings of a housewife. She's got great fashion tips!!

E said...

I just found you. Lovely little vignettes. I'll be back
You are raising a good husband to be there...

Karen MEG said...

Oh you work it!!!! I think those new shirts are amazingly COMFORTABLE even though they do look a tad maternity! I actually think it's great that they're all the rage now ... (although have you checked out all the nice maternity wear, it's almost worth even thinking about being pregnant again ... but, AS IF!!!)

Glad that you actually went and did some shopping for you. It's nice to treat yourself once in a while ;)

And your boy is the sweetest!

Blessings From Above said...

Awww...what a sweet little guy! :)

Texasholly said...

That is so sweet. I have issues with that fashion too, but those shirts come in such pretty fabric I over look the potential pregnancy issue...ugh! Next time we need pictures!! Yeah for looking cute.

McMommy said...

I'm so happy for you!! There is nothing truly better than when your kids give you a compliment!

I bet you looked FABU!

Cathy, Amy and Kristina said...

Oh yes -- I know those shirts! I still have a bit too much of a tummy to wear one without raising eyebrows, however!

Jenny Grace said...

I can't wear those shirts, but I know LOTS of people look cute in them, so I'm sure you do too!

Amy said...

Awww, that is so sweet! At least your son didn't tell you that you look pregnant ;) My son blurts out things like that all of the time :) I am sure you look darling in your new outfit- way to fight the frump!

Anonymous said...

I just can't seem to make those shirts work for me either. I keep hearing how flattering they are, but I just feel all frumped out whenever I wear them. That is sweet about your son, though.