photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Friday, May 16, 2008

Flock of Seagulls

Twice a year, we spend a long weekend at the beach with my parents. We go to Oak Island, NC. This is where we spent Mother's Day weekend.

Oak Island is a sleepy little retirement community with lots of little beach houses, several good restaurants, no chain motels and one Dairy Queen.

And when you have two small kids, who could ask for anything more out of a beach.
Oak Island doesn't have all of the overpriced attractions that you would find at other larger more touristy beaches,which is perfect for my family, because we are cheap and my husband would spend all of the daylight hours on the beach if he could.

But, after a while on the beach, even the kids can become a little restless. So we invented a new game.

It's called Flock of Seagulls. Here's how it works....

Take one carefully built sandcastle...

Add one beautiful little girl snacking on Goldfish crackers. Have this beautiful little girl strategically place Goldfish crackers on the carefully built sandcastle...

Sit back and wait...


After about 30 seconds, one seagull will arrive to scoop up a Goldfish.


And pretty soon, one little sea gull will tell all of his friends about the free Goldfish buffet over at the carefully built sandcastle...




Who needs to waste money on mini-golf and go-carts when you can experience the thrill of seagulls swooping down all around you and scooping up Goldfish at the beach?

Not us, that's who!


post signature

20 comments:

Tracy said...

Sounds like fun! We'll try that this summer, although my kids like to surf in the water ALL DAY!!!!

Thank you for your JDRF donation! :) You're too sweet!!!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

We are going to the beach next month. I will remember this when my kids are begging for mini golf.

KEEP BELIEVING

Jaina said...

That sounds like fun, and what a lovely sandcastle! I love the beach, I'm glad you got to spend a great time relaxing there.

Mari said...

What fun to watch - I bet the kids really enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

Love it! Much more original and much more memorable than that touristy stuff.

Can't wait until it gets warm enough for the beach here.

Suburban Correspondent said...

Last summer, a seagull swooped down and snatched a half-eaten sandwich from my son's hand. Those creatures are aggressive!

Cathy, Amy and Kristina said...

We're going to the beach this summer. I will remember this!

Grandma T said...

Delightful post! :)

jennwa said...

That does look like fun. My kids would love that too.

Amy Wyatt said...

Great pics! At first I thought the post was going to be about the singing group from the 80's with the pointy hair :)

Melissa Stover said...

that looks like fun!

tommie said...

how fun! We used to watch the seagulls follow the shrimp boats out...we would take guesses who would see the first one follow them back in. Life is simple when you are on an island!

Christina said...

What a great game. I love great, cheap entertainment. You guys built a pretty awesome castle too. This is nice that it is not an overcrowded touristy type place. We spend our days on beaches like this.

the dragonfly said...

How great!! Looks like you had fun. :) When I was a kid my family and I always liked to feed the seagulls too.

McMommy said...

Now that's some great entertainment for the kids!!!

elizabeth embracing life said...

What a creative fun way to pass those lazy hours. My kids would totally dig this.

Amy said...

Now if I can get somewhere that has sea gulls. Boring Indiana ;)

Momisodes said...

What a great idea :) Looks like a wonderful time! I love the pics.

Texasholly said...

Absolutely beautiful day.

Lisa said...

We went to Oak Island 2 years ago - beautiful!