photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Isn't she lovely?

On Saturday afternoon, Sarah and I went with my mom to the shop where I purchased my wedding gown to see if they had anything that might be suitable for Sarah's 1st Communion.

We headed back to the section where they kept the flower girl dresses and as soon as I laid my eyes on it, I knew!  This was it.  The one.

"I love it!"  I screeched as I reached for the dress closest to me.

"I know!  Isn't it gorgeous?" said my mom.  "That's my favorite too!  I came in here last week to see if they had any cute dresses and this is the one I picked out!"

Luckily Sarah loved it as much as we both did.

You can't really see it from these pictures but it has some bead work on the top and the reason Mom and I both loved it so much is that it reminds us both of my wedding dress.

We ordered the dress in white.  The sample dress below was ivory. 







Other than the necklines, very similar dresses!


8 comments:

Mari said...

She looks beautiful! I love the similarity to your dress.

Colleen said...

Oh my goodness, she looks so pretty that I have tears in my eyes!

RR Mama said...

Beautiful!

Corey~living and loving said...

oh I bet she FELT so very lovely in it, too. ♥

Kimberly said...

Not knowing that much about Catholic traditions, may I ask what the significance is in such fancy attire for first communion? Just curious!

By the way, Sarah looks beautiful in the dress!

Anonymous said...

Yes, she does look beautiful...just like her Mommie!

Grandma T

deborah said...

She looks beautiful! So fun to dress up!

Aimee said...

Oh she looks so pretty! Will you do a veil as well? I look forward to dress shopping with Sally when the time comes. :)

@Kimberly - wearing your best/very fancy clothes to your First Holy Communion is a custom in the Church to show that a child has reached the age of reason, has made their First Penance and is now ready to receive the Body and Blood of the Jesus. Girls wear white dresses, often with veils or crowns of flowers, to show purity and in some places boys wear white suits as well, although they can also wear a very nice suit in black or navy blue.

Fancy clothes are not required to receive Communion, and adults entering the Church and receiving Communion for the first time do not dress this way.

It has become a beloved tradition in America especially, with many mothers and daughters looking forward to finding the dress or using the same dress as an heirloom. When my eldest daughter made her First Holy Communion, my godmother, who is an excellent seamstress, offered to design and make her dress as a special gift to me and my daughter.

I hope that explains it a little, thanks for asking! :)