photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

There's cream and cheese and garlic. How can you go wrong?

Everyone reads Ree's blog,  the Pioneer Woman, right?  Of course you do because everyone does.  But do you actually cook any of her recipes?  Well, if you don't, you should. You should stop what you are doing right now and make something from her cooking site.  (And notice how I refer to her as Ree, as if I know her? Well I don't, I only wish I did...sigh...)

We love her Crash Hot Potatoes.   Love. Them. Especially my husband.  He usually doesn't get excited about anything I cook but he raves about these.  And who can blame him, they are delicious!  Whenever we grill out in the summer I always cook them.

If we are having steak, I cook them.  If we are having chicken, I cook them.  If we are having ribs, I cook them.  If we are...you get the picture.

So when she posted her Perfect Potatoes Au Gratin a few weeks ago, I knew I had to try them.

And let me tell you, they did not disappoint.

They are creamy and cheesy and garlicky and just plain ole yum.

And they gave me the perfect excuse to use the $5 mandolin I bought at Aldi's a few months ago.

I only two changes I made to her recipe.  She says to use 4 russettpotatoes but I only used 2. My dish was still full of potatoes so I guess you could let that be your guide.

And her recipe says to use 4 garlic cloves.  I used 4 and it was very garlicky and that's fine with me but if you don't like garlic as much as I do you may want to cut it down a little.  Perhaps one garlic clove per potato.

My son who is an extremely picky eater said these were delicious.  "They are creamy like mashed poatoes only different and better," was his exact quote.

Now I'm kicking myself for not getting PW's cookbook.  (It's been on the NW Times best seller list for 11 weeks now.)  Perhaps I should get this for myself for Valentine's Day.  Does anyone else have it?  If so, what do you think of it?

12 comments:

Denise said...

Sounds really yummy.

Susan R said...

I don't follow or read PWs blog, but I know who she is. I made a recipe for skirt steak with a blue cheese sauce that came from a friend's blog, but was from PWs recipe and it was amazing.
I have a hard time being in the company of someone so seemingly perfect, who needs that? It just makes me feel like a failure, so I opt out, but wish her nothing but the best.

Chris said...

OH YUM! This is definitely on my list to make this week! THANK YOU! I love potatoes!! And cheese! And garlic! And I just happen to have ham in the fridge! ;)

Mari said...

I love her recipes. I was going to try the crash potatoes, but I forgot. Now I have another one to try. I need that cookbook too!

Pinot after Playdates said...

i have the cookbook and I love it. great pictures and i've gone back to it a lot since getting it for Christmas. Try the shortribs with the mashed potatoes, so good!

Megan Cobb said...

LOL. I have to respect Susan's honesty. I feel like that some days too! But Ree's funny and I love to laugh so I go there and enjoy laughter with a side of inferiority! :) I don't have the cookbook but I cook using the recipes from her blog quite a bit and I've never been disappointed. I say go for it!

RR Mama said...

I'm so gonna have to thees. My boys love potatoes!! Thanks for sharing!!

Jessica Ryan said...

I do love her recipes!

We made the steak bites from her appetizers section and they were absolutely amazing!

Courtney said...

I got the cookbook for Christmas and I love it. It's certainly all full of stuff that you can find on her website, but I still love having a copy and there's lots of other stuff in there too besides recipes.

Robin hill farm said...

The recipes she posts on her site sound so, so yummy, but I gain 20 pounds just reading the recipes! LOL.
By the way, I thought it was funny that your Link Within brought up your post titled Wide Load Warning at the bottom of this post. I would need a Wide Load Warning sign if I ate Pioneer Woman's food! :)

bevy said...

I've used her recipes a few times... thanks for reminding me AGAIN of them!

Arkie Mama said...

I LOVE her recipes! My favorite is her sublime version of a grilled cheese sandwich. Heaven.