photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Monday, June 6, 2011

Ireland - Day 5 Part 2

Our next stop was to the Cliffs of Moher in Liscannor.  And I must say, this was probably my favorite part of the trip.  It was spectacular.  My pictures don't show it but it was really breathtaking.  The cliffs at their highest point rise over 700 feet above the Atlantic Ocean.

In several places, there is nothing but a small fence separating you from the edge of those cliffs.  And of course, everyone was stepping over these small fences and walking as close to the edge as possible.  In the pictures below of the two of us, we hoped over the fence to have our pictures taken close to the edge.  And the whole time I was thinking to myself (in my Mother's voice), "If all of your friends jumped over the fence at the Cliffs of Moher to have their picture taken, would you???" 

In the picture of Dan sitting on the edge, the cliff literally dropped straight down into the ocean.  He wanted me to take my picture like that but I was too scared.  The wind was really whipping around and I was afraid I was going to get blown off if I got that close, plus I am really afraid of heights!
















After we left the Cliffs, we headed for  the Burren in County Clare.   Burren is basically made up of rolling hills made out of limestone with large cracks in them.  It's hard to describe but it was very cool to look at.  There are more than 90 dolmen and megalithic tombs located in this area but we stopped at the Poulnabrone Dolmen.  

Poulnabrone Dolmen dates back to 4200 BC - 2900 BC.  Y'all, that's old!   You can see the rocky limestone surrounding the dolmen.





No comments: