photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Rebecca's tribute board.

When we were meeting with the funeral home director, he told us they have a hard time embalming babies because their veins and arteries are so tiny.  He said because of this we might not be able to have an open casket.

My heart broke at the thought of that.  I had already planned to have pictures of Rebecca at the funeral home and knowing this made me more determined.

So Dan downloaded the 500 plus pictures we took of Rebecca on both our cell phones and the camera over her 6 short days of life.  We cried as we looked at her beautiful little face and uploaded the pictures to the Walgreens website.  (Well, I cried.  Dan comforted me.)

On Easter Sunday, after the baskets, and Mass, and lunch and the pinata, and collecting all the chocolate eggs our bunny hides in the house throughout the day, the kids retreated to their rooms and Dan and I began our little craft project.



It turned out better than I expected. 

And thanks to an answered prayer, the funeral home was able to do the embalming and she looked absolutely beautiful.  Like a perfect little doll baby. 

I told Dan that she looked so perfect laying in her tiny little casket that I just couldn't believe we were burying her instead of taking her home.

After the funeral, I put this tribute board in the dining room not knowing exactly what to do with it.

Where should I put it? The attic? The basement?  The closet? 

I cry whenever I look at it but I just can't put it away yet because no where seems good enough. No where will ever seem good enough.

20 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Beth...
It is beautiful.
Beautiful...
Have you considered taking it to be matted and framed?
Then hanging it somewhere.
It is just beautiful.
Hugs. And love.

Lucky as Sunshine said...

((Hugs)) I know that was hard to do.

Mari said...

It is beautiful, and I can understand that it would be hard to know what to do with it.
Have you thought about making a photo book with those pictures? Then you'll still have them in a format that's easier to keep.

Elise said...

So, so beautiful, Beth. Prayers continue...

Madeline said...

My idea were also to frame it or make a book with the pictures. You did a beautiful job.

Unknown said...

So sorry, prayers for your family.

Jessica said...

Can you turn it into a photo album? I have an album of the one we lost right on the shelf next to all our other family albums. I was able to keep letters, cards, and some dried flowers in the album as well.

Tri Mama said...

I agree with the others! Frame it. And maybe make a photo book too. I've never had to bury a child, but two close friends have. One had a daughter die shortly after birth, and another at 8 mos. Both worry that the memories of their daughters will die too, especially since due to the circumstances, not a lot of their friends/family were able to see or hold their babies. If you are up for it, I think framing and displaying it in your home is a beautiful way to keep Rebecca's memory alive. It may make you cry every single time you see her, but it will give you opportunities to share her life with others who come to your home. What a beautiful tribute to her too short, but very meaningful, life.

Unknown said...

I really like the framing idea as well. You could also take the photos and have them made into a tribute book and include "letters" from the family about how Rebecca impacted and will continue to impact their lives. I know that this is so hard for you. I wish I could take away some of your pain. Blessings this day sweet friend. Blessings and lots of prayers.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Beth,
What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful little angel. You've said it before and it has stuck with me: She was loved SO much in her short time here on earth.
XO

deborah said...

Here tribute board is beautiful. It will always be special.

I say frame it!

My mother-in-law lost her daughter when she was 11 months old. She still has a special frame with photos hanging in her home.

Pam said...

I agree with the others. Keep it out as long as it feels right. Make a scrapbook with those pics and all the other super special ones. And when the time comes, if it comes, you will be ok moving your special board. But you don't have to be in a rush to decide anything. Also you might be aware of the "pulse" of your kids. I know my young girl determined how the different aspects of grief were manifested physically in our home.

Rosie said...

Do you think it would help the kids grieve to help you make a scrapbook out of it? I understand not knowing what to do with it - the tribute board I made for my Dad's funeral in December is still sitting behind our buffet because I don't know what to do with all those pictures...

Unknown said...

I would frame some of those photos (or copies) and display them with your other family photos. The display board could hem be kept to show on special days, or made into a scrapbook. Also, giving copies to your family with her might be really meaningful. She is your child and having those regular reminders of all your kids in their normal settings (mantle, etc.) may help integrate her memory into your lives.

Suburban Correspondent said...

It's beautiful. I don't know how you are getting through all this. So hard...

RR Mama said...

It is absolutely beautiful. You and Dan did an amazing job. I have been praying for you and will continue to do so. (((hugs)))

Amelia Bentrup said...

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful baby! I like the idea of framing it, or at least framing the pictures.
We are praying for you.

Laura Pearl said...

I don't know, perhaps you should plan to keep it out always. Someone suggested having it matted and framed. I think I would do that. It's such a beautiful tribute to your little saint in Heaven.

jennwa said...

You guys did a beautiful job. You have no idea how much it meant to me to be included on the tribute board.

Michelle said...

Just give yourself some time. Do whatever gives you peace.