photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Monday, April 17, 2023

Our family group chat is more exciting than yours....

 On Thursday, April 6th, Peter texted the family group chat the following:

This pigeon has been roosting there for the past three days! He comes in the mornings and leaves in the evening.

("There" is outside of his bedroom window.)

Dan asked Peter if the bird brought any nest stuff  and Peter responded that he wasn't sure if he was trying to make a nest because there isn't much room on the window sill. 

And then being the annoying "bird lady" that I am, I informed him that it's a dove and not a pigeon (even though they are in the same family).

Then later than same evening, he sent us THIS picture:


Sarah responded with "He is a she!"

And then Peter let us know he wanted to name the bird Tony but now needed a new name.  Sarah suggested Tammy and I suggested Toni.  Not sure if Peter ever officially named her or not.

Every couple of days he sends me an update picture with the dove laying on the egg.  

I researched it briefly (and of course "researched" means "googled" but still...)

Apparently doves often build their nests on windowsills with very little nest material.  If you see in the picture about there's some twigs but nothing that looks like what I consider an actual bird's nest. 

The nesting period is 12 - 15 days so we could be seeing a baby dove one day this week.  

Typically they have 2 eggs in each clutch so I'm not sure what happened to the other one.  

I'm extremely excited to see if this egg hatches and how long it stays on the windowsill! 

And don't worry...I'll keep you all posted! :)


4 comments:

Mari said...

That is very cool! And I think Toni is the perfect name.

Madeline said...

This legitimately is more exciting than our family group text!! I can't wait for an update!

Gigi said...

Now that is cool! I can't wait to see the future developments.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Awww...that is so exciting! Maybe Peter will be The Godfather?