photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Friday, August 7, 2020

Just another update...

 Another week has passed which means another week of me thinking every morning that today is the day I will write a blog post. And then before I know it, it's bedtime.

This doesn't mean I'm necessarily doing anything, it just means I'm lazy.  That and the fact that not much is happening. 

Let's see if I can come up with at least a few things that have been going on around here.

Sadly my  great aunt was put into hospice last week so my mom, my brother, and I visited her on Wednesday. I'm so glad we did because she passed away early on Friday morning.  We went to her funeral on Monday.  It was a very small gathering of family only outside on the graveyard. Her family is planning on a big gathering once we are past all of this corona crazy. Aunt Nell, we will miss you! 

Sarah's been working a lot.  There seems to be a lot of drama at this pool which means a couple of guards have been let go and a couple others have let their certifications expire so more shifts for Sarah!

Here she is headed out to work!  So cute!

 

She worked a double last Friday and is working another one today.  A double is TWELVE straight hours.  That's a lot for one day!

Peter has applied at a restaurant near school where a friend works.  He said they need busboys so hopefully Peter can get on there.  This would be good especially if there's no football season.

Our governor just extended Phase 2 for five more weeks so we are still waiting to hear how that will effect fall high school sports in the state. They said they should be able to announce something on August 17th.  In the meantime, Peter is still attending football workouts and enjoying the exercise and the time with friends.

Our tomatoes are finally starting to turn red.  This is the longest it has ever taken them.  Not sure why but Dan has done some googling and thinks it's because we've had a lot of 90 plus degree days and that halts the tomatoes progress.

 Regardless, we are finally getting a lot and I've made salsa, caprese salads, and had lots of tomato sandwiches.  

 We've got all kinds of tomatoes: pinks, yellows, big boy, and cherokee purples.  Some of them still look a little green on top because I picked them a little a day or two early so they wouldn't split. We've gotten a lot of rain recently and too much water makes tomatoes split.

Our bell and jalapeno peppers are coming in now too.  Our cucumbers are finished but we decided to plant some more to see if we could get a second crop.  That will all depend on the weather.




Isn't this caprese salad lovely?  The basil is from our garden as well.  So yummy!

I also made a delicious pie for Sunday dessert last week.  It was so good.  It's a blueberry lemon cream pie from Chef in Training. So good!

We've got a few sunflowers this year.  We planted them in the front of the house for a change and we planted a smaller variety.  I regret the decision to plant them out front because they are busy and look wild but   I am enjoying their blooms so I guess I'll take it.

I'm still walking at least four or five times a week. I've upped my miles and am now doing 4 each morning.  Yesterday was extremely foggy but it made for a pretty walk.

And that's all I've got for now!  Have a wonderful weekend!

5 comments:

Madeline said...

Your sunflowers are very pretty. That pie looks so good!!! Glad Sarah has been pool drama free and can reap the benefits of staff changes. 12 is a lot of hours though! We have nothing interesting here either. Sign of the times I guess.

Gigi said...

The Husband put some potatoes in a container and they have taken off! It's insane, we are going to have more potatoes than we will ever be able to eat. I bought a key lime tree last summer and that thing has so many key limes - it's crazy. I'm guessing there will be a lot of key lime pie in my future.

Billie Jo said...

I love a good tomato sandwich!!!!
And you are raising some awesome kids. : )

Ernie said...

You sound like a tomato expert. And the tomato salad looks professional.

Our area high schools are eliminating some fall sports - one of which is football. They are going to create a 4th season. Soccer and football will be in the spring and some spring sports like girls' soccer will be bumped to the summer. Nuts.

I am glad Sarah has been able to pick up extra shifts with all the changes at her pool. Hope Peter gets a job.

Nd.chic said...

Love the tomatoes. They are my favorite food. It's such a narrow window that we can grow them. Enjoy it now :)