photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

And they are off!

I woke Peter up at 4:50 this morning because it's Washington, D.C. time!!

He less than enthusiastically got out of bed, ate a little cereal and got dressed.  We double checked his luggage and his bag for the bus and we headed out the door at 5:30.  We made a quick stop to pick up a classmate and her mother (who is a chaperone on the trip) and we were at school a little before 6:00.

I told Peter that once I got a quick picture, and a hug and he got on the bus I was going to leave.  So as Peter's friends were loading on to the bus, he said, "If you want a picture get it now." I tried to be discrete so I wouldn't embarrass him. 


He gave me his half smile and I quickly snapped this. Then gave me a side hug and a fist bump and he got on the bus. 

A side hug and a fist bump? I guess I'll take it.

They have a lot crammed into this 3 day trip:

Arlington National Cemetery
The African America History And Culture Museum
Washington Monument
Mt. Vernon
Holocaust Memorial Museum
WWII Memorial
Lincoln Memorial - Korean Memorial, Vietnam Memorial
Basilica of the National Shrine of Immaculate Conception
Capitol Hill
Smithsonian Complex time permitting.

Even though our family has been to D.C. numerous times, I'm excited because there are several things Peter will get to see that we have never seen before:  The African American Museum, The Holocaust Museum and the Basilica. 

The African American Museum is new which is why we've never been.  We have never been to the Holocaust Museum before because we felt it might be a little much for the kids when they were younger and I can't for the life of me figure out why we've never been to the Basilica.  Seems like a good Catholic family would visit the Basilica - especially since it the largest Catholic church in the western hemisphere and one of the 10 largest churches in the world!

I'm excited for Peter and his class and even though it's going to be cold, I know they will have a great time!

4 comments:

Madeline said...

Very cool and what a jam packed schedule! I hope he has a great trip! I think you got a good picture in a "not embarrass your 8th grader" kind of way. :)

Billie Jo said...

Ok. That is early!!!
Hope you went back home and crawled into bed!
The trip sounds amazing!!

Mari said...

He's going to have such a fun time! I laughed at your picture taking. Me kids still groan when I get out the camera!

Pam said...

That's a lot of stuff to pack into three days. But kids! :) He will have a great time. We loved our trip to DC some years ago.