photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

We took the kids to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston last week.

Back in the early 90's, I was a huge fan of Claude Monet.  I even had a framed print of The Artist's Garden at Giverny that hung over my bed for a long time.  What can I say?  I went through a lavender phase.

I was very excited to discover that the MFA had several of Monet's works in their collect.  While the didn't have the Artist's Garden, they did have Water Lilies which is probably the next best thing!


They also had paintings by Rembrandt, Renoir, Manet and Van Gogh just to name a few.  I was thrilled to be able to see so many great works of art.  The kids didn't understand the significance but we can always go back when they are older.

Does this look familiar?

This is the painting done by Gilbert Stuart which he used as a model for the painting he did that would ultimately be used on the dollar bill. 

When we walked into the museum, Peter approached the large statue that greets you upon your arrival in the museum's foyer on and exclaimed, "Look! It's Orpheus and Cerberus!" 

Thank you Percy Jackson! Peter now knows more about Green mythology than I do.  (Let's add that to the growing list of things he knows more about than me!)


They had several Greek exhibits that we spent a lot of time viewing thanks to Peter's new fascination with Greek mythology.  I think he was a little disappointed that there were a lot of statues of the Greek gods.

This is a picture of Peter under a bust of Zeus.

 And this is Sarah in front of, well, I can't remember what exactly but I guess it's a lion!
And this is a sign that it's time to go.  The kids were tired and making silly faces. 

It was a great museum.  The kids got to go in for free because it was a holiday in the Boston public school system.  Adult tickets were $22 each but I think it was well worth it.  We  only saw about half the museum in the 3 hours that we were there but the tickets also allowed us to go back again for free within the next ten days.

The museum also offers lots of free programs for the kids - there were groups of kids all over the museum creating their own little works of art.  If you are ever in the area, I highly recommend it!

1 comment:

Ika Devita Susanti said...

Lovely Museum. Thank you for sharing, Beth :) Happy New Year!