photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I've got one. Do you?

A mommy tan that is.

I remember the days when I used to wear a bikini and when I used to go to the the tanning salon.

Looking back, I realize what a nice tan I had. It was deep and fairly even with my back being as dark as my front.

I never appreciated that tan though. It was never dark enough. Never rich enough. Never even enough for me. My skin and I have always been at odds with one another. (Just ask the wrinkles and zits that currently fight with one another to take up residence on my face.)

Ah, but how I long for that tan now.

Every morning after my workout, right before I hop into the shower, I glance at my naked body in the mirror and I wince.

I am lily white on the top. If you looked quickly, it would almost appear as if I was wearing a bright white tankini in the shower.

My arms are fairly tan and so is my chest. The front of my legs have a bit of sun on them but the back of my legs are pale.

This strange tan comes from sitting at the pool in a chair and watching my kids, making sure they are safe.

I can't lay flat on my back or my stomach to get an even tan because in between my duties as lifeguard, I am fetching snacks, applying sunscreen, searching for goggles and helping with trips to the bathroom.

So the end of summer is here and yes, I have a mommy tan. Do you?

15 comments:

Denise said...

You make me smile, thanks.

Denise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mari said...

Funny! No - I don't even have a mommy tan. I ten to freckle instead of tan. My arms are fairly tan, my legs are white! It's a beautiful thing!

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Mommy tan...such a perfect name for it. I definitely have it.

These are the Days! said...

Oh my gosh--I am lauging so hard right now. I totally have it--we just got back from vacation, and my tan is sooo incredibly weird. There is no "laying out" these days--in fact, I barely ever sit with a one year old, so my tan is neither even or consistant...oh well! ;) Love your blog!!

He & Me + 3 said...

I have that tan but it is from flip flops and capris. HIlarious to see when I wear shorts and no shoes. lOL

Pam said...

Well, this summer I have virtually no tan whatsoever because my kids are are too afraid of bugs to go outside.

However, I know exactly what you mean. Every summer between graduating from high school and getting married, I worked at a day care, and spent my days sitting, watching kids on the playground, which gave me dark arms and knees. After we were married, I spent the next 6 years in the tropical sun getting an excellent "teacher tan", which is a lot like a farmer's tan, plus I had sandal lines like you would not believe.

Aimee said...

Definitely have the mommy tan. And mine starts at a very attractive point on my thigh where my tankini skirt stops!

Oh, and I can't forget the flip-flop lines on my feet either :)

Anka said...

Thanks for your lines :) today i wrote about lifechanges, before baby and after baby, this mommy tan is absolutly similar story. :) warm greetings from Hungary :)

Heather said...

Soo funny Beth! If your kids are starting school next week, maybe you can hit a few days at the pool before it closes to even yourself out.
I know what you mean. I have to explain myself to people when I say "we went swimming today" that I don't get to swim, just chase Isaac, lifeguard Eli, and keep my 9 month old out of the heat/sun:o) not very relaxing

Corey~living and loving said...

ummm yeah...I do. thanks for depressing me. sigh....




lol

Anka said...

Dear Beth, the easyest way would be writing in 2 languages, but im not as good in English :( maybe if you make friend with an hungarian mommy, who can translate... but i put fotos as well, and you are welcome in my blog any time, love your blog, xoxo

Tracy said...

Total mommy tan here as well...guess it beats no tan?!

Rebekah said...

Oh yes Ma'am I do. Yuck! this is the first year it has been this bad. Oh how I long for those lazy days basking in the sun with my friend on the beach.
But now I have to settle for short and t-shirt tan lines.

Gretchen said...

I have my own version of a mommy tan: well-tanned cheeks but pale forehead (from wearing a cap to shade my eyes), small white lines on bridge of my nose and next to my temples where sunglasses leave their mark, and mostly tan on the LEFT arm but not so much on the right, as that is the arm that is next to the driver-side window of the minivan.

My stomach has not seen the light of day since I was in college. Even then, I wonder what I was thinking. I've never had a great body anyway!