photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Monday, October 10, 2011

Our Trip to the Zoo

The cutest creatures at the zoo!
We took the kids to the NC Zoo for the first time on Saturday.  And when we went, I realized why we waited until they were 7 and 8 before we took them.

I saw parents with infants heaving huge strollers around for miles.  I saw parents with toddlers and preschoolers lugging double strollers around.  I saw parents with infants and toddlers and preschoolers melting down because they didn't want to be in their strollers.  And then I didn't feel so bad for making my kids wait until they were 7 and 8 to go the zoo for the first time.

It was a beautiful day - sunny and in the 70's with a light breeze.  Perfect weather for walking 3 miles through North America and 2 miles through Africa.  We were there for 6 hours and were standing or walking the entire time with the exception of the 20 minutes we sat down to eat.

My legs felt like Jello by the time we got to the car at the end of the day.  The kids had a great time looking at the animals and they didn't complain at all about all of the walking.

Here are a few highlights from our day:





Black Bear

Bison

Cougar

Zebra

Chimpanzees


This gorilla is pushing a button and drinking water!  Smart!

My little monkeys reading about the chimps!

Baboon - Sarah was disgusted by the red tushies on these things!

Ostrich

Baboon - This sweet little thing kept licking this rock.

He liked to keep his feet on the glass while licking his rock. And poor thing only had one eye.  This upset Peter.

The white ghost!  Which was really an albino alligator.

Rhinos



Playful baby chimps


Elephants

Giraffes
My favorite animals at the whole zoo - The Blue-Tongued Peter and the Blue-Toothed Sarah

5 comments:

Zaankali said...

You let Sarah know she isn't alone in her disgust.
I love how many different animals your zoo has. We don't have elephants or giraffes by us any more. We did when I was a kid and I wish we still did for my kids. So cool!

Heather said...

I love our Zoo. We just went on the only cool day August had. And it wasn't but $10 more to buy the annual pass, so now we have to go back;o)

deborah said...

I like going to the zoo! It's just a fun kid thing! And I am so with Sarah on the baboons. Some of God's creation is very, very unique. lol!

Kimberly said...

Remember that super cool weekend we had in July? That's when we went to the NC Zoo...and yes we were one of those parents heaving the stroller around and dealing with a meltdown for not being in the stroller. Luckily though Quinn did good walking and took a rest on the trek between North America and Africa. We bought the pass that included the carousel and giraffe feeding, so we got to hand feed the giraffes! That was a dream come true for me!

Wendy said...

We love our zoo! You should buy a family memebership to the zoo for the kids for Christmas. We do that every other year and get so much use out of it. That new camera is perfect for the zoo as well. No matter how many times we go we have to take lots of pictures of the animals.