photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Saturday, October 1, 2011

If I wasn't so tired, I could have come up with a funnier ending.

Dan and Peter left for a Cub Scout camping trip last night so it's just me and Sarah this weekend.

We headed to Chick-Fil-A for dinner last night and then came home and watched an episode of Chopped Champions - something that would never happen with the boys.

Dan will watch Top Chef with me and even The Next Food Network Star but  he refuses to watch Chopped.  His rational is that there is no way people in real life would ever make an entree using squid ink, Fig Newtons, caper berries and tile fish. And he's right because why would you even want to eat squid ink and I don't even know what a caper berry or a tile fish is.  I'm totally on board with a Fig Newton, though. 


After watching the chefs get creative with the funky ingredient basket we headed to bed.  Sarah likes to sleep in my bed when Dan and Peter are gone and I like to let her.  This is the only time I will ever let her sleep with me.  I prefer the kids in their own beds and me in mine but when the boys are gone, it's a special treat for her...and if you consider having a foot in your back or an arm over your face special, well then it's a special treat for me too.

I woke up around 2:00 AM for my nightly I'm-an-old-lady-now-and-have-to-go-at-least-once pee and then settled in nicely until 4:10 AM at which time I heard a loud beep.  My blood ran cold.    A smoke detector was beeping.  Why, me?  I have to worst luck getting them to stop beeping and I knew I didn't have any 9-volt batteries and I knew that when one beeps, another will surely follow.

I laid real still with my eyes squeezed tightly closed as if some how that would make it stop.  But it didn't because 30 seconds later it beeped again.

So I did what anyone would do.  I got up and closed the bedroom door and climbed back into bed.

30 seconds later - BEEP!

So I hopped up, dragged a chair out into the hall, climbed up on the chair and pulled the battery out of the smoke detector and then climbed back into bed.

2 minutes later - BEEP!

BEEP?!

What the beep?

So I climbed back out of bed and pulled the whole smoke detector out of the ceiling.  And while I was doing that - BEEP!

It was then that I discovered that it wasn't the smoke detector in the hall that was beeping, it was the one in Peter's room.  So I took the battery out of that one and took it out of the ceiling for good measure and finally climbed back into bed.

BEEP!

You are beeping kidding me, I thought to myself.

The one in Sarah's room was going off this time.  I took that one out of the ceiling and climbed back into bed at which point Sarah said, "What are you doing?"  And by now it was 5:00 AM.  We finally managed to get back to sleep until 7:45 when the cat decided we should all be up.

MEOW!

MEOW!

Three cups of coffee and a trip to Walmart for 9-volt batteries have done nothing to improve my grumpiness.  Sarah's grumpy today too.

And everyone knows - two grumps don't make a right.

Or something like that. (Cut me some slack - I'm tired.)

3 comments:

Mari said...

Sorry you had such a short night - but I must admit it gave me a laugh! :)

Grandma T said...

You made me laugh too!! Thanks!!

Kimberly said...

Did you ever watch FRIENDS? This reminds me of the episode where none of them could sleep and Phoebe was dealing with a beeping smoke detector. Her solution? Put on funky earmuffs and a big hat and sing "Oh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind Hey Mickey!" (Remember that song??) If you've never seen the episode, you should see if its on You Tube or something. Hilarious!