So let's just pick up right where we left off, shall we? I'm sure you guys are all itching to know 25 more things about me.
26. I love People Magazine. I have a subscription because I figure if I'm going to read it anyway I might as well pay less than the cover price for it.
27. When I was 16, my Dad bought me my very first car. It was a 1980 Honda Accord. (It was 1986 at the time.) We lived out in the country and you needed a car to get around,especially if both parents worked and weren't available to serve as chauffeurs.)
I told him I didn't care what kind of car he got me as long as it wasn't brown or green. It was brown. Well, I guess technically it was copper colored because my friends and I called it "the copper penny". I drove that car until 1993 when I finally purchased my own car...a RED Saturn!
28. I got my first job when I was 16. I worked at Revco (now CVS). I was a cashier. This was before barcode scanners. I was an excellent cashier and could ring everything up without looking at the keypad. Pretty impressive, huh?
29. I can play the flute. I took band in the 7th grade. I continued until 9th grade. After that, I became "too cool" to be in the band.
30. My favorite place to visit is Charleston, SC. I love that town. If you ever go, stay at the Elliott House. My husband proposed to me in Charleston at Poogan's Porch. It's a restaurant in an old two story house. Poogan is buried in the front yard. Poogan is a dog so don't be too freaked out!
31. Thanks to my husband, I am now a huge Boston Red Sox fan. My husband is from Boston and got me hooked on baseball. Go Sox!
32. I am also a football fan. My favorite team is the Carolina Panthers. However, my husband's favorite team is the New England Patriots. It's nice to have two teams to pull for...especially in a year like this one. My team was horrible...his team is going to win the Super Bowl! (We hope!)
33. My favorite color is celadon. I also like lime green but that color trend in clothes doesn't seem to be as hot as it was a few years ago. However, I hear that Pampered Chef is coming out with a lime green line of products in March. Can't wait to see it!
34. I like to cook. I'm not very good at it but I enjoy it. I used to have dreams of becoming a chef but after watching Top Chef I know that I don't have what it takes. It looks like a hard, sweaty job. You also have to be very creative when it comes to preparing new dishes. If I was a chef, I think I would be fat!
35. I hate it when people that aren't handicapped, park in handicapped spaces. I also hate it when people pull right up to the front door of the grocery store, park in the fire line and go in to do their grocery shopping. Why do these people think that the rules don't apply to them? Why???
36. I do not have any tattoos. It makes me chuckle when I see cute young girls running around with "cool" tattoos on their ankles. That's going to look really hot when they are 65 and wearing support hose and sensible shoes!
37. We do not have any pets. I feel bad for my kids because at this point, I don't think I'm ever going to allow pets. I don't want to deal with the hassle of having to clean up after them. I don't want to have to deal with the expense of buying their food and taking them to the vet. I don't want to have to pay for an invisible fence so they can run around in the back yard without running away. I don't even think I want a fish! What kind of mean mom am I??
38. The last book I read was 1000 White Women. I highly recommend it! It was one that I didn't want to put down even though it had some very intense moments in it. Two of my favorite books of all time are She's Come Undone and Memoirs of a Geisha. All three of these books, were written by men from a woman's point of view. Too bad I'm not in college. I could probably do an excellent paper on this, comparing and contrasting these books.
39. I am a Republican. I am embarrassed to admit however, that when I was in college I voted for Bill Clinton. I am repulsed by this (and him) now. And do you want to know why I voted for him? Because I thought he and Al Gore were cute. I am hiding my head in shame now and slinking away from the computer. (I was 18. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)
40. The first concert I ever saw was Def Leppard. I went through an 80's hair band phase and have to admit that I still like to listen to Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Poison, Cinderella and Guns N Roses. There is nothing like an 80's rock ballad to bring tears to your eyes.
41. I also like country music and Christian music. I am such an enigma!
42. I met my husband at a Jimmy Buffet concert.
43. My husband and I saw Cirque De Soleil once. We did not like it. Everyone else was oooohing and ahhhhing and we were just sitting there wondering what the fuss was all about. There were some interesting moments but I don't think we would ever go back.
44. I was once in an elevator with Dale Earnhardt and his wife. This may not mean anything to you if you are not a NASCAR fan. At the time it didn't mean much to me either but now I wish I had asked him for his autograph. A couple of years after I was in the elevator with him, I went through a NASCAR phase. Dan and I went to quite a few races and we would always watch them on tv. But, once you have kids, you just don't have 5 hours to spend in front of the TV on Sunday afternoon!
45. I would love to have a house on a body of water. I used to have a condo on Lake Norman and Dan used to have one a few miles away. He had a boat and we would spend the weekends on the water. It was wonderful. We traded in the boat and the condos and got a house and some babies. It was a great trade off but I do miss it!
We talk about retiring to Cape Cod one day. At this point though, I'm not sure how we would afford it. Houses up there are so expensive! Maybe the housing market will change in 30 years when it is time to retire and we can make it work!
46. I do not like cold weather. I do not like snow. I like it hot, hot, hot! Hmmmm...maybe I better rethink Cape Cod and convince Dan that Florida would be a better retirement option!
47. I once dated a guy that forbid me to buy a computer. He forbid me. That is the exact word he used. I immediately broke up with him and proceeded to buy an $1800 computer to spite him! (This was in 1994 and of course, it had a modem. Dial up is so quaint!)
48. I have always wanted to write a novel. I even tried when I was about 12 years old. The two main characters were Mia and Tia. They were best friends. Their mothers were best friends since childhood which is why their names rhymed. They were also next door neighbors and Mia and Tia were dating twin brothers.
Sadly, I am not joking about this. The book fell flat after a couple of descriptive chapters on their hair, their clothes, their rooms, etc. I had no plot - nothing but a bunch of rhyming names and descriptions of long flowing auburn hair. The twin brothers even drove a red sports car. Hmmmm....wonder what the girls are up to these days? Maybe I should bring Mia and Tia back to life?
O.k. Maybe I won't.
49. I just bought a new bathrobe. It is pink and soft and girly and just lovely. For the last 10 years I have been using my husband's old bathrobe...the one his mother bought for him when he was a teenager. It is plaid and not at all girly. By my best estimation this bathrobe is at least 25 years old. It is probably closer to 30 years old. I think his mom got her moneys worth out of that purchase.
50. I wear contacts. I first got glasses in 4th grade. They were giant frames with lenses that turned dark whenever I went outside. I thought they were so cool until 5th grade when the novelty wore off and the realization that I was going to have to wear these things F.O.R.E.V.E.R. set in. In 10th grade I got contacts. One of these days I'm going to get laser eye surgery. Honestly though, I would rather have a lap top and a new couch first.
Coming up with 100 things about me is waaaaaaay harder than I thought it was going to be but once I start something, by golly, I will always finish it.
I am not a quiter. Maybe I should make that #51!