photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Works For Me Wednesday - Help! My Tile Floors Are Dirty and I Can't Clean Them Up!

Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer is hosting a BACKWARDS Works For Me Wednesday today. Normally you would post an idea about something that has worked for you that might be helpful for others. I think I did the Internet a mighty fine service when I posted this little helpful hint.

Today, however, we are doing things a little differently. Shannon wants people to post dilemmas in the hopes that others might provide helpful answers. So, without further ado...

I want to know the best way to clean tile floors.

We have beautiful tile floors in our kitchen and breakfast area. I decided to go with tile instead of hardwood in our new house because if dropping forks, plates, cups, and bowls were an Olympic sport my kids would have shelves full of gold! I have had hardwood in the kitchen in our old house and as beautiful as they were I could not keep them clean.

Overall,for everyday maintenance the tiles are very easy to clean. If one of the kids spills something...no problem. I can clean it up with a sponge and that's it. Problem solved. Then I can move on to something more exciting. Like the laundry. Or cooking dinner.

I need help with my major weekly cleaning. Currently, I vacuum the tile and then I use a Swiffer with one of those wet pads. Unfortunately, the Swiffer doesn't seem to get the stickier stains off the floor and I end up on my hands and knees with one of the Swiffer wet pads cleaning the floor. Had I known I would be doing this I probably would have just gone with the hardwood floor.

Help! If anyone has tiles in their kitchen and has an easier, more effective way of getting them squeaky clean, please let me know What Works for You. It is Wednesday after all!

8 comments:

jennwa said...

I can not help you with your floors but your blog looks great.

Megan Cobb said...

No tips for this but I took a crack at a seasonal header for you. I'm a complete amateur but was feeling creative and put one together in about 3 minutes for you. If you want to take a look, send me your email address! :) (ps I won't be hurt if you don't want to use it. not one bit.)

Mamabug said...

I have a light colored ceramic tile and I have been using vinegar and water for a few years now. That is what a tile cleaning company recommended. I have no idea what the ratio is but I use hot water in my mop bucket then add roughly 1/2 to 1 c of white vinegar. The vinegar smell is light and dissipates quickly. To tackle the sticky spots I pretreat with either the mop water or whatever all purpose spray I have hanging around. I found the premoistened cleaners to leave some sort residue after a while. Also, if the grout isn't sealed it won't stay clean no matter how much you mop. Maybe that will help...

Jess B said...

I used to have tile floors and it won't happen again. The clorox bleach pen works ok for cleaning the grout, but for a good clean floor, I've found a good old fashioned, hands and knees scrubbing was the only thing that worked for me.

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

For me, the Swiffer Wet Jet (not the presoaked pads) works best. I also keep Clorox wet wipes on hand under the sink for sticky spill residue.

Milla said...

An actual mop and bucket and your favorite floor cleaning solution. Getting on my knees is something I refuse to do, but scrubbing with a mop is just as good.

Memarie Lane said...

I just use a regular mop and a sink full of soapy water. For really tough spots, I use a Pampered Chef vinyl scraper (I think they are about $2 for a pack of 3) and follow up with a wet rag.

Anonymous said...

My SIL has a huge area of tile in her house. She vacuums the grout lines first, then hand washes the whole area. Alot of work, but I think necessary to keep the grout lines looking clean. Hope this helps!