photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Bird babies (plural!), new glasses, new salad, new word games.

On Sunday, Peter sent this picture to the family group chat and said, "Proof that it's a couple!  I just watched them switch shifts." 

  And then minutes later he sent this picture with the caption "The babies grow fast!"

To which I screamed, "BABIES??? PLURAL???" And then calmly texted back, "I thought there was only one!"

How dare he not mention that there were two?  When I was googling researching doves it mentioned that they typically laid two eggs so I thought perhaps this bird had a bit of a malfunction.  It also mentioned that the mother and father take shifts sitting on the eggs and tending to the babies.  It's good to know that this little family is doing things by the books. But I was a little perturbed that my onsite ornithologist in Raleigh son failed to properly document the nest to his bird-loving mother. Although the fact that he continues to watch them and send me pictures makes me happy.

I would also like to add here that my brother is now feeding birds as well and we are both happily enjoying our daily visitors.  I also feel the need to add here that I have a hummingbird visitor but I rarely see him/her.  I'm wondering if perhaps the hummingbird feeders are too close to the other feeders and the bigger birds are scaring them away.  I am considering moving/adjusting my feeders.  I am also considering therapy for my obsession....  I will keep you all posted.

In non-bird related news, I got new glasses:


 

Dan failed to notice them upon his return from Ireland.  As I was giving him a hard time he tried to defend himself by stating that his not noticing them meant they looked great.  He also said they look exactly the same as my previous pair, another weak defense if you ask me.

For proof, here's a weird and random selfie I found on my phone from a month ago:

I think they look totally different. The color is definitely different, the shape is different, and the size is different.  The true test will be when Sarah comes home to see if she notices them.  If I were a betting woman, I'm going to say that she will notice them immediately. I will also keep you posted on this riveting information as well.

I am impatiently waiting for my avocados to ripen so I can have my chickpea salad for lunch again (now that I've purchased more feta) so I had to have  a different salad for lunch yesterday.  This was pretty good:

I made a creamy balsamic dressing for the spring mix. (The dressing was fine, nothing to write home about so I will not be making it again.)  I topped it with salmon (that I cooked in the air fryer), black berries, goat cheese, candied pecans (I put these in a frying pan with butter and tossed them with Splenda instead of brown sugar in an attempt to keep the sugar down in this salad as balsamic is pretty sugary), feta, and a little balsamic glaze to finish.  This was excellent!  The only thing I would do differently is to use a different dressing next time. 

And finally, before I go - do you guys play Wordle?  I have been playing for well over a year now and enjoy it thoroughly.  However, recently I have added Dordle, Quordle, and Octordle to the mix as well because I typically get the Wordle in under a minute. Some days it's longer but usually I'm pretty quick with it. If you are not aware, these games are like Wordle except in Dordle you are figuring out 2 words, Quordle 4, and Octordle 8.  I usually get the daily Dordle and Quordle and recently have been getting the Octordle although it's pretty hard to get all 8 words in 13 tries (and that's 13 tries total for all 8 words). 

I am justifying playing these games as brain exercises - hopefully they are keeping my brain firing on all cylinders.  In the meantime, it's time for me to go to the park and get my 3 miles in so my body also continues to fire on all cylinders! 

9 comments:

Colleen said...

The salmon salad looks lovely. I know I'll miss the kids, but I'm excited for the day when I can just cook myself something like that and eat it in peace ;) I have to admit I agree with Dan about the glasses...but they both look great on you!

mbmom11 said...

There's also Don't Wordle (try to avoid guessing the word) and Canuckle (Canadian wordle). Also Waffle. I now dream in 5 lettered words!
The doves are charming- we had a pair that would nest in our garage for years. Their nest grew so tall. However they moved into the eaves of the house, so we'll have to evict them after the babies fly off.

Gigi said...

I like your new glasses - they really suit you!

I also play Wordle and Quordle. I'm tempted to look at the others you mentioned.

Mari said...

I'm happy the babies are doing well, and that Peter is sending you pics.
You look great with those glasses. I can understand why Dan didn't notice right away though. When I got my latest pair of glasses, hardly anyone noticed. But I do think women notice things like that more than men do. :)

Billie Jo said...

Yes. Your new glasses are perfect! You are beautiful!!! And thank Heaven for those daughters! We can always count on them! And any tips for getting started walking??? I mean, I haven't moved in three years!

Madeline said...

2 bird babies!!! That's awesome!

I love your new glasses. I can definitely spot the difference. I fell out of the Wordle.habit myself but I am so glad you've kept it up!!

Ernie said...

Laughing at your search for a therpist for your obsession. I'm delighted that mama bird didn't have a malfunction and that her family isn't dysfunctional and her partner does is fair share of shifts. I love that Peter is updating you.

I admit that I'm with Dan - I think the glasses are cute, but at first glance they seem very similar to the old pair.

I do not play word games. I do, however, play Memory on the floor surrounded by 7, 8 or 9 toddlers with one planted firmly in my lap. One mom mentioned that she played Memory with her twins over the weekend and she was blown away at how good they've become. I wonder if Memory games help with cognitive skills in youngsters, if so I guess I deserve a raise. If not, the kids seem to really enjoy my antics during our games, so there's that. I'm all about celebrating and moaning and pure silliness. Thankfully this game is closely followed by nap time, which is good because I'm exhausted after being all 'in.'

Busy Bee Suz said...

Those types of games ARE exercising our brains and I'll check out the others; I only do wordle.
I love your glasses; they look so good on you. Dan is a man, they don't always see details.

Pat Birnie said...

Both glasses are really nice, but different. Typical husband! I do Wordless and Canuckle, and typically solve Wordle fairly quickly, but there are days I really struggle (like when I have 3 of the 5 letters and there are many options for the other two). May step it up a little with one more option.

I just got a hummingbird feeder and am trying to figure out where best to place it. I also love bird watching and think it’s so exciting to watch the babies I won’t tell you about the horror show in our front yard last spring where we had two baby doves - but it involved two turkey vultures swooping in. Talking about needing therapy!