photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Colonoscopy update and a weekend report.

I survived the colonoscopy!

It actually wasn't that bad.  On Thursday I was hungry pretty early in the morning but I think that was more of a mental thing.  I never eat breakfast so I just powered through that, had broth at lunch, went shopping for football cleats with Peter, got a large Diet Dr. Pepper from McDonald's as a treat, and then began the clean out.

It was just as I had expected.  Drinking the 64 ounces of Gatorade combined with a whole bottle of Miralax in 8 ounce increments every 20 minutes was very doable. I did have to set the alarm on my phone so I wouldn't forget.  I started that process at 4:00 and by 5:30, let's just say - things were starting to move.

I was able to get a little sleep and thankfully wasn't up and down too much during the night.  I did have to set my alarm for 3:30 am so I could get up and drink the 10 ounce bottle of magnesium citrate.  To me, this was the worst part.  That stuff was disgusting.  It was very thick and it was very tart/sour and not exactly what you would like to be drinking in the middle of the night. 

I was able to get a little sleep after drinking that and then was up at 5:30 to shower and get ready to be at the doctor's office for my 7:00 am check in.

My appointment was at 7:30 and they took me back right on time (a benefit of being the first colonoscopy of the day!) and before I knew it I was under.

Also, before I knew it I was awake.  As in, I woke up before they were done!

One minute I was out and the next minute I groggily opened my eyes and the room was dark.  The nurse anesthetist was standing by my shoulder and I could hear him talking to the doctor who was um, how shall I put this - still working....

I was very groggy and I remember thinking to myself, I should probably tell them I'm awake but before I could say anything, it was over.  I think I was probably awake 1 or 2 minutes before they were done. 

I got a clean report and don't have to do that again for ten years!

Dan and I tried First Watch for brunch. I got a pesto chicken quinoa power bowl.  It was yummy!



We ran an errand and were home by 10:30.  Dan did the yard work and I did a few things around the house and then on Friday night we went with the kids, my mom, and my brother to our traditional end of school dinner celebration to Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse.

The official last day of school should have been the previous Friday and we would have celebrated then except Peter was still in pain from his wisdom tooth surgery AND the restaurant had not opened up yet.  So waiting another week was fine. And school had already been out several weeks so when we went wasn't really an issue. 




Our chef was extremely good.  And we were the only ones at the table due to the limitations on seating so we got all of his undivided attention.  And the waitress seemed to only be waiting on two tables so she was very attentive as well.  It was a really nice night with the family!

On Saturday we decided to take a hike along the Yadkin River. The weather was beautiful - sunny and warm and not humid.







On Saturday evening, we grilled steaks.  Correction - Peter grilled steaks.  He has decided he wants to learn how to be a good griller so when he goes to college he can man the grill at tailgate parties.

He made his own spice rub, asked us each how we wanted our steaks cooked and did a very good job!  He is officially hired!


On Sunday, we had socially distanced Mass again and then had lunch at my mom's house.  And on Sunday evening Dan and I headed back to Goose and the Monkey (a new brewery) for a socially distant beer.


And just like that - our weekend was over.

Oh - and for anyone wondering - I lost FIVE pounds doing the colonoscopy prep!  But don't worry that I'm wasting away over here.  As on Monday morning, I had gained all five of those pounds back plus one EXTRA one!  Oh well...

6 comments:

Ernie said...

Congrats on being done with the colonscopy! Sounds like you bounced back great. I am usually curled up the rest of the day. I read your prep post on the go and never circled back to comment, but I have had about 4 or 5 colonscopies and one sigmoidoscopy (sp?). Basically when trying to diagnose celiac disease they kept looking from the wrong angle. Hello! That was not fun. My first one was before I was married. Like 24? I had to drink something worse than what they offer today. I was gagging on it and could not finish it. Ew. Glad the prep has improved. Still, never fun.

Billie Jo said...

Yay you!!!!!!
So glad you made it through and got super results as well.
And Steve and I went for omelets after mine. Sooo good!

Madeline said...

Ohmygosh. I can't believe you woke up! Such good news that it went well and you could get on with a good weekend. How neat Peter took over grilling duties. That's such a good life skill that will serve him well!

Gigi said...

Congrats on the clean bill of health! Such a relief, I'm sure.

Mari said...

I'm glad it's done and you got the all clear. The good thing is once it's done, you feel fine.
The hike looks like fun.
You are lucky to have another griller in the house. :)

Suburban Correspondent said...

I don't understand who all these large children are in your photos! How many years have I been reading this blog, anyway?