photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Monday, January 13, 2020

ER visit, Hockey game, studying for exams. The stuff great weekends are made of!

Last week was a nice back-to-normal week.  But the kids have exams this week so the schedule is bonkers.  Exams are Monday - Thursday and some days  both kids have both the morning and the afternoon exam and other days one has the morning exam but not the afternoon and/or vice versa and suffice it to say that I will constantly be checking the schedule and my watch to make sure that everyone (including myself) is in the right place at the right time! 

In other news - look at this deliciousness:

Mom and I ate lunch at Firebirds on Friday afternoon.  I got her a gift card from there for Christmas and they were giving away extra gift cards with the purchase of a gift card so we got to enjoy a meal there for free!

My favorite meal from there is the sesame encrusted salmon with a ginger mustard aioli and fried spinach and side of choice (I always get the veggies). I'm sure I've mentioned this dish before because I get this every time I go even though I always go in thinking I am going to try something new this time. But I never do. I literally lick my place clean! And their bread is the best!

On Friday evening after swim practice, Sarah came to the car with a weird look on her face and I knew something was wrong.  She told me that at the end of practice they were doing laps with their fins on and she was doing the backstroke.  Apparently so took in a huge mouth full of water and got choked.  She couldn't breathe and one of her friends said she was turning blue!

Her coaches were calling the lifeguard over to\ assist but thankfully it resolved itself.  She was very scared after this whole incident.

I did some googling and it sounds like she suffered from "dry drowning".  Dry drowning is when water never reaches the lungs. Instead, breathing in water causes your vocal cords to spasm and close up. That shuts off his airways, making it hard to breathe  It's the body's way of protecting you from getting water in your lungs. 

"Secondary drowning" happens if water does get into the lungs. There, it can irritate the lungs’ lining and fluid can build up, causing a condition called pulmonary edema You would having trouble breathing right away, and it might get worse over the next 24 hours. And sometimes can cause drowning up to 48 hours later.

Everything I was reading said that if there was an incident you should go to the doctor to make sure there was no water in the lungs.  So, we went to our doctor's office - he has clinic hours until 8:00pm.  They told us she would need a chest X-ray to rule out water in the lungs and they didn't have that machine at their office.

So we headed to the ER on a Friday night.  In our area, thankfully, there are many ER options so I checked the wait times online and we headed to the ER in Clemmons.  It still took 2 hours once we got there but thankfully no water in her lungs! 

Before we even got there, I felt like she didn't have any but I also knew that I probably wasn't going to sleep a wink wondering if she was going to drown in her bed so I feel like it was worth the ER visit! You can't put a price on peace-of-mind.  Although I guess in this case, the price will be whatever the bill is from the ER.  Ha!

On Saturday night, Dan and I took Sarah and Cheyanne to the hockey game.  Peter didn't want to go so he stayed home and watched football on tv.  The hockey game was a lot of fun.  They always are.  It's good cheap entertainment.

Our team, The Thunderbirds, is actually really good and there were very few tickets left.  I went online Saturday morning when we decided we were going to go to get four tickets and there were very few options. We weren't even able to sit beside the girls.

I've got no pictures of the girls because they were actually sitting a row behind us and down a bit and I didn't want to embarrass them..

Sunday was Mass, lunch at mom's, football on tv and studying for exams.

Sarah had her last two regular swim meets last week and this week the team is preparing for the conference championships which are this Saturday.  Our school is hosting this year so it's at our pool.  It's going to be on Saturday morning so we will be up before the sun on Saturday.  I'm hoping for fast swims and no inhaled water!


Mari said...

I've heard of dry drowning - very scary. Glad you got her checked out!

Ernie said...

Yikes- that was scary. Glad all was well. The lunch out looks fab - even non fish eating me might try that dish if I was in town. Exam time is stressful. We are all suoer glad it takes place here before Christmas break!

Madeline said...

I am so glad to hear she didn't have water in her lungs. I would have gone to check it out too! I hope the kid's exams go well for them!!

Michelle said...

Glad she was ok! 😬😬

Busy Bee Suz said...

That was very scary to hear about....I'm SO happy it was not as bad as it could have been. Poor Sarah!
I hope all the exams go well.