photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Tuesday, December 3, 2019

She finally has two more holes in her head again...

Happy Tuesday!  It's nice to finally know what day it is!

Since last week was a two day school week for the kids and a three day work week for Dan and then throw in Thanksgiving which always feels like a Sunday, I spent the entire week wondering what day it was.

On Tuesday after school, Peter went to a friend's house and had a sleepover with several guys.  I think they played video games all night so he had a good time.

After swim practice on Tuesday, Cheyanne came over and spent the night with Sarah.  I think they had a good time.  There was lots of laughing and commotion coming from upstairs.  And then when I went upstairs to go to bed, they came downstairs so it worked out great.  Sleepovers with big kids are the best!

I took Sarah to get her ears re-pierced on Wednesday.  Not sure if I've ever mentioned that whole saga before or not.  If you will recall, she got her ears pieces in 2015 when she was 11.  Look here at my little baby.  Isn't she the cutest?  And look how young I look.  Five years really does a number on the old face and body at this age!  :)

Anyway, she did fine with the earrings when she got them pierced but somewhere along the way she took her earrings out and the holes closed up.  And being the bad mom that I am, at one point, I forced her earrings back in the holes which probably wasn't a good idead because they got infected. She eventually just took them out again and they closed over again.  But this time, they also formed keloids.

Keloids are little knots of scar tissue.  In addition to the little knots of tissue (these were in her lobes and you could feel them but not see them) the holes turned brown.  Kind of like darkened scarred skin would turn.  So she couldn't wear earrings AND her earring holes were brown.  She was distressed by all of this.

A friend of mine had a daughter that had problems with her earring holes and she went to see a plastic surgeon.  So I called the office that I went to for my lipoma and basil cell removal and made her an appointment.

Her first appointment was at the end of June.  Dr. Lawson immediately gave her a shot of steroids in each ear.  This is what he did on my nose where he removed the basic cell carcinoma.  Scar tissue had started to form and was causing a bump.  I went to him at least three times for steroid injections until it finally was gone.

Sarah was under the same protocol.  Shots of steroids in her ears and then she would spend the next 6 weeks rubbing scar cream into her earlobes and massaging the keloids away.  She did this 4 times and was a champ with each injection. 

Dr. Lawson said that most likely the keloids would come back but if she reeeeaaaalllllllllllyyyyy wanted her ears repierced then he would do it.  Well, Sarah reeeeaaallllllllllyyyyyy wanted her ears repierced so after all the injections had cleared up the keloids and the ugly brown skin discoloration, we went back to get them pierced again.

I asked her if she wanted me to take a picture of her getting them done again but she declined.  He gave her a numbing shot in each ear which she said felt like the injections and then he pierced them.  She was elated because she could not feel a thing!

She has to wear the studs for 6 weeks before she can change out her earrings and we go back in 1 month just to make sure the ears are doing okay.  I really hope keloids don't form again because she will be so sad.  A bunch of her friends gave her earrings for her 15th birthday "because she never wears earrings" and she is anxious to start wearing them again. Although I will say, her studs are cubic zirconia and look really pretty and sparkly! But she's ready to have choices when it comes to her earrings. 

If you look closely, you can see the stud.  Please ignore the big goofball in the background.

4 comments:

Madeline said...

Well, I learned a lot here! My ears are closed up, I last wore earrings for my senior prom and I am positive that I basically re-pierced my left ear when I did that. I have actually been debating whether or not to get them pierced again but maybe I should see a plastic surgeon myself because again that left ear definitely has keloid. (Which I learned reading this post. I mean I knew there was a thing there, but not that it had a name!)

Mari said...

I hope it all works out this time! And I think you look the same as you did 5 years ago. :)

Busy Bee Suz said...

Wow. What an ordeal for Sarah. I hope this did the trick because earrings are such a fun accessory!! Love the photo bomb Mom.

Ernie said...

Oh this does not sound fun. I have never pierced my ears and never will. I get grossed out easily. Remember when I passed out from donating blood? It took me years to get contact lenses. Glad she can finally have earrings again!