photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Visual Vocabulary Day

Typically on the same day that the Kindergarteners dress up for All Saints Day at school, the middle school holds it's annual Visual Vocabulary Day.

The day I saw it posted on the school website, I figured Peter and I would spend hours scratching our heads trying to figure out what word to do and how to represent it.  But, that very afternoon, when I he hopped into the car, he exclaimed, "Visual Vocabulary Day is coming up and I've already picked my word and we need to go to the Halloween store so I can get my costume."

Well, all righty then!  So much for scratching our heads for hours.  And, yay!  I didn't have to scratch my head at all.  That's my kind of project!

Parents get to attend Visual Vocabulary so of course I went with camera in hand.

When I arrived at the gym, they had rows of chairs lined up and all of the 7th and 8th graders were seated, dressed as their words.

The 6th graders (Peter's class) was huddled around the entrance, dressed as their words.  They were waiting anxiously for the elementary kids to arrive.  As each grade arrived (they all had their appointed time slots) the 6th graders divided them up into smaller groups and took them around.

Each elementary student had a card with a grid printed on it with 9 squares.  The 6th graders took them to 9 different "words" and at each word, they learned what the word meant, what part of speech it was, etc.  And the 7th or 8th grader gave them a sticker to place on their grid after they learned about their word. 

Pretty neat, huh?  I thought so too!

Here are a few pictures of some of the words:

Peter as Incognito.



Rotund


Ablutophobia (being photo bombed by Incognito

Abecedarian



Nuclear


Ersatz

Buffoon

Notorious

Pavonine
Troglodyte

Sarah!

Incognito taking around some younger kids!


I had lots of fun looking at all the different words and I know Peter had a lot of fun as well! 

3 comments:

Madeline said...

He really is all about the masks isn't he? What a fun day for them. I love that everyone picked the most obscure word possible.

Mari said...

What a creative way for everyone to learn. I think Peter's incognito was the best!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Peter's was awesome. Is it sad that I didn't know four of the words??? I had to look them up and hopefully I remember them now. What a great project for the kids. (and me!)