photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I have failed...

Well, I have failed myself.

Failed myself miserably.

In January, I showed you a horrible picture of myself and let you in on a little secret...I was starting a diet and was planning to lose 12 pounds by May.

At the end of January, I proudly told you I had lost 4.8 pounds but I was switching diet strategies.

Big mistake. Never gloat about weight loss and never change diet strategies.

In February, I told you How Not To Lose 12 Pounds in 12 Steps. In this post, I consistently spelled lose "loose" and caught all kinds of crap from my husband. I went back and changed all instances of my misspelling but I am still hearing about it today. I think lose/loose is just one of those words I am going to always spell wrong.

Just a few years ago, thanks to the advent of spellchecker, I realized that surprised wasn't spelled "suprised". But cut me some slack - I'm Southern and we just don't pronounce that "r". I guess technically though, if I am going to use that argument, I should have been spelling it "suhprised" because in the South, that's how it sounds when we say it.

But I digress.

Ahem.

In April, I posted a wonderful salad recipe and the fact that my husband is losing weight (or is that loosing?) and that I was going to start eating only salads and join him in this whole weight loss thingy I've been talking about since January.

And while this salad is delicious, I don't think the blue cheese crumbles and the candied walnuts do anything for the actual weight loss aspect of a diet.

So, it is with my head held low, that I come before you on the day that we are leaving for our Mother's Day beach trip, the very trip I was trying to lose (see honey, you can teach an old dog new spelling words!) 12 pounds for and admit that I have lost no more weight.

Those 4.8 pounds are still gone but the balance is hanging around my belly/hip/thigh region like those people at the end of a party that just don't know when to go home.

So, I didn't meet my goal. But I'm not giving up.

On Monday I will start a new plan! I am going to add exercise! Yes! Exercise! That's it! That should work! (Please note - If you put exclamation points after any weight loss plan, it will be sure to work!!! I tripled exclaimed that one so that you will know that this is not a hoax!)

Mom and I are going to start walking every morning at 5:00AM.

That's right people. A.M. as in ante merīdiem. As in before the sun comes up. As in early - very early.

So, as I head to the beach to lounge my pasty pudgy self around on the beach and gorge myself on fattening restaurant meals, at least I have a plan. When I return, I plan to eat less and exercise more.

Novel idea, eh?

I don't think it will work. After all, there weren't even any exclamation points

post signature

25 comments:

Donna @ Way More Homemade said...

I tell ya, the exercise early in the am before you eat any breakfast really works I think. That's what I started doing and over the course of 2007, I lost like 25 lbs. It doesn't take much to get the metabolism going and burn off some excess fat before adding any calories for the day. JMHO.

I had my goal wait as a goal for at least 2 years before I got serious and achieved it. You didn't fail anyone.

Take a look at fitday.com... you put in what you eat and all your activities, and you can see where you stand as far as calorie intake/output each day. It's helpful to get you going.

It WILL work!!!
(note all caps and exclamation points... it's a SURE thing!!)

3XMom said...

You can do it! I run 3x a week at about 6am. It sucks but it is the only way I can fit it in. Hang in there - you can do it!

Corey~living and loving said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

You inspire me! My husband and I have been walking at lunch together. I am afraid to weigh, though. We're headed to the beach two weeks from today and I'll be happy if I lose a pound or two by then. Mine is all in the middle!

Karen MEG said...

Almost 5 lbs is not a complete failure!!!

I admire that you keep trying, and walking is geat exercise!!! But at 5 AM, wow, that's dedication!!! You can do it, go, go, go!!! It's all about sticking to some sort of schedule too, once it becomes more routine it'll stick.

Good luck!

Jaina said...

Exercise does help in any diet regimen. Ab exercises are wonderful. That's the big thing for me, I'm not as concerned about the scale if my abs are toned and feeling tight. Of course, they haven't been that great since I was about 18. I just fell off the horse. But I've started up again. It just takes consistency, a little bit every day. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great!

Corey~living and loving said...

You DIDN'T fail. You learned what doesn't work. THat is an accomplishment. I am proud of you for keeping the 4.8 lbs off. Life is a process, and you are progressing nicely! :)

have a great trip!

Anonymous said...

Keeping off 5 pounds is great!

Eating less and exercising more is a lot tougher than it sounds. I admire you for sticking with it.

Brittany said...

No failure involved! Keeping off 5 pounds is GREAT! However- I hate to tell you this... exercise REALLY is the key!!! Best of wishes! :)

jennwa said...

Have fun this weekend, we will miss you guys.

I hope the exercise helps.

I also hope you getting up to walk at 5:00a.m. will not make you to tired to hang out with me in the afternoons.
I guess I need to get on the ball about getting in shape so we can both look good when we go to the pool this summer. I can not wait to just lounge around the pool this summer. Summer needs to hurry up and get here. So I guess I need to hurry up and get in shape.

june cleaver said...

Ahhh, dieting sucks. I have been at it as long as you... and have lost and regained the same friggen 3 pound. *Big Sigh*

elizabeth embracing life said...

Uggg!!! I wish you many crisp early morning walks. That is dedication, but for me would be torture. I think taking off five pounds and keeping it off is more of a success than a loss of a quick twelve pounds and gaining it all back. Don't be so hard on yourself, that is just terrific.

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

I am right with ya friend. I noticed that my jeans are now snug enough to make me look like a Jimmy Dean sausage.

Lovely...

..and just tell your husband that your lack of pristine spelling makes you all the more real to me. I have to run now to the Liberry...yep, the LIBERRY. I don't pronounce the r, so there.

Family Adventure said...

Go for it, Beth. I betcha this one will stick.

Heidi

Tracy said...

Have fun, Beth! :) Our pool opens May 17th...so, that means I have exactly 10 days to lose 25 pounds...shouldn't be a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (There...Now I know it WILL WORK!)

Megan Cobb said...

You're on the right track, girl. Don't give up!!!!

Queen of My Domain said...

I can't believe your talking about getting up at 5 am to exercise...that's just not possible for me until after I have had coffee. Good for you for doing it though and enjoy your weekend at the beach.

OHmommy said...

You have not failed. You lost some weight.

I vowed I would shed some too by May. I have ZERO pounds lost. UGH!

Michelle said...

Beth, pudgy or not, diet or no diet, you are wonderful.

Is there anyone alive at 5:00AM? I don't know, I have seen that hour for years. And I do mean YEARS! (like when I was young and didn't come home until that hour).

As to the beach.....HAVE A BLAST!

Annikke said...

Ya, well I was going to lose 30 lbs by the end of July for a wedding and i have lost T.W.O. and I started in January!

Milners for HIM said...

Island Dreamin' here -- I can RELATE with the lose-loose thing!! I misspelled surprise in the same way for YEARS-and I am a TEACHER... My other word that caused me angst was answer... By the way, just eat less--as in portions and exercise! I have lost about 12 pounds in 5 months that way and it has stayed off.

Amy said...

You have a good outlook - you CAN do this! Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

You couldn't get me to walk to the fridge at 5am, so I'm totally impressed by your goal. Good luck!!

Christina said...

I spell lose/loose incorrect all the time. What can I do. I don't like surprise either, It always catches me on spell checker, so this just proves that people like us from all over can't spell.

Don't be too hard on yourself about weight loss at least your trying, something I aught to do. Is aught a word? It hasn't caught this yet so I guess so. Of course it just spell checked surprise for me after I just read it on your blog.

Andrea @ Mommy Snacks.net said...

Hey, waking up that early should *will* the fat off if anything :-) I surely couldn't do it! Good luck!