photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Friday, July 24, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday - There's a lot of nothing going on around here!


I don't have much to say about a lot of things so I thought it would be a perfect day for 7 Quick Takes Friday so here goes...

1.

I took the kids to the dentist this week for the 6 month cleaning and Peter has a cavity...ON HIS PERMANENT TOOTH! When the dentist told me that I almost started to cry! I felt like I had failed him.

Normally we brush twice a day - he brushes by himself in the morning and my husband or I do it for him at night. I guess we all weren't doing a very good job. The dentist assures me that it is very tiny. Regardless of the size, I still feel like I let him down.

I am now having the kids brush after every meal and snack. We'll see how long this lasts.

2.

If you weren't already aware, it's BlogHer Conference time. Thousands of bloggers are going to be in Chicago yucking it up this weekend. I'm very happy for those who are able to go. I'm sure it would be a good time. My problem is that for those of us left at home, we have to read about it on every one of their blogs.

There are a lot of bloggers that I read regularly that are in Chicago right now. Which means, for the next week, I will have to see pictures of them all meeting one another, talking about how cute they all are in person, what cute clothes they are all wearing, how nice they all are in person and what a WONDERFUL time they all had.

Yes, I know I'm just jealous. And yes, I'll get over it...in a week when everything gets back to normal in the blogosphere and they stop posting pictures of all of them hugging...

3.

Here's a great little recipe for broccoli. This is such an easy way to prepare it and it is delicious. It's not soggy like steamed broccoli and it's full of flavor. Try it. You won't be sorry!
And I guess I should add that the recipe comes to us from Jillian Michaels.

Roasted Broccoli With Lemon

Ingredients

  • 4 cups broccoli florets
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 1 dash freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 lemon, cut into wedges

Preparation

Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss broccoli with oil, salt, and pepper. Place on a large baking sheet (not air-insulated) and roast until the broccoli is tender and blackened on the bottom, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges.

Makes 4 servings.

4.

Speaking of Jillian Michaels - I'm still Shredding. I am having trouble getting rid of the couple of pounds I put back on while on vacation when I was eating like a pig and not Shredding.

Does anyone have a good diet plan? I just really want to get off 3-4 pounds but I'm having trouble. Perhaps where I am now is the weight I should be at and maybe I just need to keep working out to keep toned up and not worry about the scale.

5.

We just recently started sponsoring two children from Honduras through Christian Foundation for Children and Aging. The little boy is Sarah's age and the little girl is Peter's age. Their names are Mery and Elias.

I wanted to do this to help these two adorable little children, but I also wanted to do this to help my kids. I want Peter and Sarah to understand that God wants us to help those less fortunate than ourselves. I want them to understand how much we have and how lucky we are

. I have been mentioning Mery and Elias in our prayer over breakfast and I just wrote a letter to them. I can't wait to see what they write back.

6.

I went into the garage this morning to get an extra carton of cream for my coffee and when I opened the door, I almost got knocked down by what I thought was a bat. I quickly realized that it was just a little brown bird (I don't know all of my bird names but I bet you my grandmother could have told me instantly what kind it was!)

I hope it makes it's way out of the garage and not into my house. The last time I had a bird in the house BOTH of my lampshades ended up with poop on them.

And whenever I think about that story I always think of my friend Julie from college who got pooped on by a bird as we were all walking to the cafeteria. That was hysterical (for all of us who didn't get pooped on!)

And then when I think about Julie, I think about the Farside cartoon that we found on a greeting card that showed a bird's view of the ground and all of the people down below have bulls eyes on their heads. I'll be chuckling all day. (Tiffany! Are you reading this!? Do you remember when Julie got pooped on?! Good times!)

7.

I'm still reading through the Bible. I'm currently on Day 38 of the 90 day program. I am currently in Job and I must say that it is so nice to be out of Kings and Chronicles.

8.

I know it's SEVEN quick takes, but I guess I have a lot to say today...Just a reminder about Miracle Monday. If anyone has any miracles to post, please do. I haven't had anyone post a miracle in quite sometime and I'm contemplating ending it. So, if you have a miracle, write about it this weekend so you will be ready to post it on Monday.

For more Quick Takes, please visit Jennifer at Conversion Diary.

11 comments:

Pharmgirl said...

#5: I love CFCA! I've been sponsoring a woman from India and it's been a great joy. I'm considering getting another sponsored friend now that I'm employed again.

Leigh-ann said...

Sorry to hear about your son's cavity. Of course we all try to do our best to prevent our kids from getting cavities, but some kids (especially kids with very deep grooves in their teeth) are just much more likely to get them. Hang in there and don't beat yourself up over it :)

He & Me + 3 said...

I was wondering if you were still shredding. I love it and am still doing it too.
Sorry about the cavity...we have been there. it was tiny, but on a permanent tooth. depressing for sure.

Aimee said...

1. Don't feel too badly about Peter's tooth -- it may not be your fault at all. I've always gotten little "pits" (early cavities) on my teeth, and I am a dentist's DREAM. I go every six month, brush, floss, etc . . .

My dentist told me that some people's teeth are just prone to pitting/cavities. Meanwhile, my husband could skip his dental appointments for four years and have zero problems.

not that I'm bitter . . . :)

2. I'm still Shredding too!

3. Rob and I were just talking about sponsoring kids through the CFCA! We had sponsored a child through another organization until that child became an adult, but now I think we are going to give the CFCA a try.

Have a good weekend!

Jaina said...

I liked this. I'm definitely bummed about BlogHer...so many of my favorite bloggers are speaking! I'll just live vicariously through their stories for now. Maybe next year.
I need to start Shredding again. As for diet plans, I like South Beach, it's pretty easy, it's tasty, and it works. :)

Laura said...

I think losing "just" 3-5 pounds may be the hardest... I've been trying for a while. I enjoyed your 7 quick takes.

lislynn said...

I hear ya! You can come to my blog and I promise not to post any Blogher Conference pics, because I too, alas, cannot afford to go. And I have kids. So. I will stay home and pretend that I've never heard of such a thing and that truly intelligent people such as myself never care about things like that.

I, too, am Shredding! Just got the dvd this week. Congrats! And the Anne Collins online diet is the best one I've ever seen. I lost twenty pounds on it after dd was born and fifteen after ds was born. It's healthy, balanced and not a "fad" diet.

Glad I stopped by! It's my first time participating in 7QT :) Nice to meet you!

Robin hill farm said...

Sorry about your son's tooth. Don't worry too much about it, though. Everyone's got at least one or two fillings. Losing those "last couple pounds" is always difficult. Sometimes I wonder if it's just our bodies telling us "that's enough". As far as dieting goes, just try to keep your calorie intake at no more than 1500 calories a day. Serve all your meals on small plates and in small bowls. Measure things like salad dressings and peanut butter to make sure you're not having too much. A cookbook that I love is called Quick and Healthy by Brenda Ponichtera. Lots of good recipes and ideas and food that the family actually enjoys! That's a plus when dieting, getting everyone else to eat the same things you are eating, so you don't feel left out. Lastly, don't stress about your weight too much. As long as your waistline is less than 32 inches, you are in a healthy weight range. And judging by pictures I've seen of you, I'm guessing you are just fine. :)

Denise said...

I enjoyed this post.

Rebekah said...

You're the one that brought Jillian Michaels to my attention. Have you ever read her book Maintain your Metabolism?

Since my thyroid surgery I have been into learning about my metabolism. Now I dont think I could do everything she talks about in this book. but I did learn some things about food.
You should read it and take with it what will fit into your life style. I have been focusing on eating (as she puts it) What grows from the ground or has a mother.

Just trying that will knock off 4 lbs- probably more.

Momisodes said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about his cavity. I hope that it's his first and last.

I hear you on the BlogHer envy. I remember feeling that last year and it drove me nuts for about a month leading up to it and then after.