photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Monday, August 29, 2016

Cousin Shirley's Sweet and Spicy Salsa

I made salsa on Friday and it turned out really great!  It was sweet and spicy and really yummy!

Here are all the ingredients in the pot.  Isn't it pretty?

And might I add that the tomatoes, green pepper and jalapenos were all from our garden!  I did have to buy the onions because that's something that we've never grown.


Here it is simmering in the pot.


And here's the finished product!

And here's the recipe!

Cousin Shirley's Sweet and Spicy Salsa
1 gallon tomatoes peeled and quartered
1 1/2 cups sugar (you can adjust the sugar according to taste.)
3 T. salt
2 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped bell pepper
1 cup white vinegar
1 7oz jar jalapeño peppers, drained  (I used fresh and wish that I had left in more of the ribs and seeds because I wanted a little more spice.  However, other family members thought it was perfect the way it was.  You will need to adjust accordingly.)
Bring to a slow boil.  Lower heat and simmer until thick (I simmered mine for 1 hour but Shirley simmers hers for 2.  I like my salsa a little chunky that's why I simmered for less time.) uncovered
Heat clean jars, add salsa, and seal.

For me, this filled 5 quart sized Mason jars. 

2 comments:

Madeline said...

So awesome that most of the salsa is homegrown! Sounds delicious!

Kelli said...

Sounds wonderful! I always enjoy your recipes. Your feta dip is one of my go to dips.