photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Monday, December 11, 2017

Jesus, take the wheel....

Things around here have been busy...

On Thursday night, Peter wanted to go to the basketball so Dan and I dropped him off and did a little Christmas shopping.

Peter had school off on Friday and Dan took the day off.  We dropped Sarah off at school and hung around to attend Mass at her school.


we went to the DMV!

And this happened:

 And Dan(!?) wanted to commemorate it with a selfie:

Poor Peter!  He could not wait to get out of the parking lot.

Our experience at the DMV was wonderful.  We made an appointment and after we checked in Peter went right to the testing station.  Dan talked with someone about updating his license to show his veteran status and then decided that while he was doing that he should go ahead and make his license a federal id which entailed going back to the DMV later on Friday with the correct paperwork. Everyone there was friendly and knowledgeable and it was all smooth sailing.  However, after we left the second time (around lunch) it was starting to get a little crazy because I imagine everyone was trying to get there on their lunch break.

Obviously, Peter passed his test and then drove us home - through the beginnings of a snow storm.  I was totally unprepared for this snow.  They had been mentioning snow all week but very casually and there wasn't the big stampede to the store for milk, and bread, and toilet paper so I just assumed we would get a light dusting.  But, no.  It proceeded to snow all afternoon on Friday and into the evening.

The DMV is right near the highway and since we were coming back to the DMV to finish Dan's federal ID, we decided to take it because it to be quicker.  Poor Peter - talk about trial by fire.  Apparently, his driver's ed teacher is a nervous Nelly and Peter had never been on the highway before.  No time like the present to learn!

He did great and Dan did great. I, however, did not do so well.  I was a nervous wreck the whole way home.  Peter also drove us to lunch in the snow and then drove to church on Sunday and just texted me this morning that he wants to drive home from school today.

I had decided that I was going to let him practice more with Dan before he drove home from school (it's 30 minutes away) but he really wants to do it and he is a cautious driver so I guess I'll just be praying the whole way home.  Sarah jokingly asked on the way to church Sunday if I needed to keep my rosary beads in the car. 

This was our house on Friday night:

So pretty but I do not like snow.  BAH HUMBUG! 

On Saturday, the kids helped my friend Jennifer and her family move and Dan and I ran errands and did things around the house.  That evening we went out to dinner because I failed to remember that what I was making for dinner needed to go into the crock pot at noon. I realized this around 6:00 PM. WHOOPS!  

On Sunday we went to church, had lunch at my mom's house and then finished the Christmas cards (now to get stamps), the kids did homework, and then Sarah had Confirmation class.

And just like that, it's Monday and I've got a whole ton of things going on this week in addition to hopefully finishing my Christmas shopping in between everything.

Have a great week!


Madeline said...

Can I admit something to you? I ordered my stamps online this year. Our post office always has a line a mile long and sometimes they are out of the holiday ones I want. (Always plenty of the Kwanzaa ones go figure.) And even though I felt silly spending $2 for shipping and handling... I probably will never buy stamps at the post office again.

Congrats to Peter! That's way more snow than we've had so far! And since I am also on team Bah Humbug I am glad that we haven't had any. (She types as the flurries are starting to fall...)

Gigi said...

A milestone! Getting a driver's license...exciting for the child; nerve-wracking for the mom! Mine has had his for a while now and, yup, I'm still nervous when he's behind the wheel.

Wasn't the snow crazy? I never expected what we got. I also took a picture of the house with all the snow and turned it into a Christmas to sign and send...hopefully this week.

me said...

The drivers ed teacher didn't take them on the highway?! That's negligent! Around here, they're out on the highway within the first hours of driving class. And I take my kids on the highway as soon as they can turn and brake. It's easier to drive (divided , so no worries about oncoming traffic) and smoother. It's a great way to get a feel for the car and the road. My kids had to have 50 hours behind the wheel before going for there license. It's worth it. (one of the few things the bureaucracy in IL does right!).
The first time my eldest daughter did a long drive with her father as passenger , she hit an ice storm! Trial by fire (or ice). I hope your son has a happy and safe time as he gets used to driving!

Mari said...

Wow - what a week! Good luck surviving those first few months of having a new driver. I was a nervous wreck!
The house looks pretty, but I agree with your feelings on snow. :)

Busy Bee Suz said...

Congratulations to Peter! Mom, you'll just have to do a lot of praying and meditating; it's maddening! LOL!
Your house looks absolutely lovely in the snow though. Stay warm.

RR Mama said...

Your house looks so pretty! And get ready with the driving thing. I'd like to say it gets better but when they get their own car your fears so into overdrive! But the good thing is that when you run our of something in the middle of cooking, they can run to the store for you. Praying for all of you!