photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Please don't ask me what I'm giving up.

It's Ash Wednesday and Lent is upon us.

Sarah keeps asking me what I'm giving up for Lent.  I have given her several vague answers but nothing concrete because, honestly, I feel like ever since we received Rebecca's diagnosis, I've been living Lent. I'm not sure I could pray any harder, or sacrifice anything else, or being any more charitable than I have been.

I received this in an email from Jenny in response to a comment I left on her blog:

My spiritual director told a friend of ours who lost a baby girl at birth that sometimes Lent comes to us in our circumstances, and that we needn't add additional suffering where there is already plenty. I remember her focus for that Lent was to try to be at peace and to ask God for rest and healing for her broken heart. I know that she tried so hard to rest in the cross she had been asked to carry, but what a lot to ask of a mother. Then again, He asked a lot of his own mother during Lent, too.

How beautiful is that?  

So, this Lent, I will be trying to rest in the cross that I've been asked to carry and while I'm doing it, I will be thinking of Mary and the cross she had to bear.
And I'll be eating chocolate.  Lots of chocolate.


10 comments:

Madeline said...

I agree that is beautiful! Many prayers of support as you take this Lenten journey with Mary.

Jenny said...

YOU'RE beautiful, Beth.

Billie Jo said...

That ISBeautiful, Beth...
What a perfect way to put it onto words. : )

Busy Bee Suz said...

Just beautiful my friend.
Prayers for you and your family.
XO

Mari said...

Yes - it really is.

Kelli said...

I love this...
Prayers to you and your family...

Unknown said...

You are trying to give up anxiety on some level. And control and power. But you're right in seeing that as a Lent already thrust on you. Some years we get to choose and others it is chosen for us.

Pam said...

I agree...beautiful words!

Unknown said...

How perfect and how difficult. I think your friends words were a little gift form the Father above. To trust, rest and heal. A beautiful Lent indeed. Blessings friend. Praying boldly!

Amelia Bentrup said...

This is beautiful..and I totally agree. I've lived times where life felt like one big long Lent, and the thought of adding anything else one was just too much. Enjoy you chocolate! And, we are praying for you.
-Amelia@OneCatholicMama