photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Friday, January 24, 2014

Seven Quick Takes

Well, it's Friday so I'm going to do what I do best.  Seven Quick Takes!

--1.--  Today is the school Spelling Bee.  Both Peter and Sarah qualified to be in it.  And two weeks ago when they both found out they were going to be in it they were all excited to study and learn the words so they could win. 

And then homework, play dates, basketball games, and normal regularly scheduled life took over. I mentioned studying for the Spelling Bee several times to them and they both blew it off.  I didn't force them, figuring they would learn a good life lesson in being prepared.

On Wednesday they both freaked out a little bit when they realized that the Spelling Bee was two days away, they were going to be standing up in front of the entire school and they were totally unprepared.  That led to some frantic "studying" and I guess we will find out this afternoon how it goes.

--2.--  I know they won't win.  An 8th grader will win.  An 8th grader always wins and I'm fine with that.  I'm just hoping that they learn that in the future they need to actually study and be prepared.  And I think just getting up in front of the school and participating in the bee will be good experience for them.

But secretly I'm hoping that they both at least make it past the first or second round. 

--3.--  Dan's mom is still hanging in there.  I think it's the Irish in her!  However, the end is nearing as her temperature was up yesterday and her breathing was becoming labored throughout the day.  Please pray for comfort and peace for all of them.

--4.--  My Aunt Barbara and Uncle Chuck and cousin Meredith and her husband J.D. sent us the nicest Tower of Treats from Harry and David yesterday.  I was a bad blogger and didn't take any picture before the kids and I dug into it but it was such a nice surprise.

Here's a stock photo from the Harry and David website:

It was loaded with pears, truffles, nuts, cookies, candies and baklava.  And trust me when I say we dug right in!

--5.--  For Christmas, Sarah got a microphone stand with a mic.  The mic plugs into Peter's guitar amp and I can hear her singing all through out the house.  But lately, I have found the stand and mic (with plug removed) parked in front of my full length mirror.   I usually find Sarah in front of it performing for herself and checking out how she looks in the mirror.  But I have also found Peter with his guitar (also unplugged) standing in front of the mic and the mirror checking himself out as well.  I guess a future star has to know how they are going to look on stage?!

--6.--  This morning as the kids were brushing their teeth, I overheard Peter say to Sarah, "You better never expose your boobies in public!"

Good advice, son.  Sarah, I hope you were paying attention to wise older brother.

--7.--  And since I'm all out of takes, how about if I use my last one to beg for votes? If you so desire, please head over to Bonnie's and vote for me.  CLICK HERE!  Find Best Blog Written By A Mom and scroll all the way to the bottom of that category until you see A Mom's Life and vote.

And I also just realized I am also in the category of Best Under Appreciated Blog as well.  So if you've got it in you, vote for me in both categories! If not, no worries.  I'm still just happy to have been nominated and all that jazz.

I hope you all have a great weekend and stay warm! Oh, and don't forget to head over to Jen's to see what everyone else has been up to this week.

8 comments:

Colleen said...

Oh my goodness, Harry and David is so yummy, what a nice gift! I need to put a bug in my kid's principal's ear to have a spelling bee...I loved them when I was a kid! I hope your cherubs do well :)

Billie Jo said...

Spelling Bee! Funnnnn
Harry and David! Yummmmm
Happy Weemend, my dear friend! : )

Billie Jo said...

Litte too quick on that Publish button, wasn't I?!
Happy WEEKEND!!!!!!!

Madeline said...

I hope the spelling bee goes well. I am a little jealous of your Harry and David, that is a really thoughtful (and delicious) gift. I love Peter's sage advice!

Mari said...

I hope the Spelling bee goes well!
The Harry and David gift is wonderful.
Praying for all of you. I hope she doesn't hang on too long, it's just so hard to sit and wait.
I'm off to vote for you in the underappreciated category!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love harry and Davids!!!
#6 made me laugh….what a card!
I hope they both did well on the bee too. :)
I will vote if I'm qualified, you know? I can't find my voters card. LOL
XO

Rebekah Es said...

My son won his school's spelling bee once, which was awful when everyone cheered him on to districts where he lost in the first round:(

Wendy said...

That does look like such a tasty treat! Glad to see Peter being a good older brother and passing on such good advice to Sarah!