photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Sweet Treat

There are a lot of fringe benefits gained from living next door to your parents. Among them for us are free and convenient babysitting, delicious Sunday lunch served right after church, free use of a riding mower and access to a wonderful front porch equipped with a swing and lots of rockers.

Last night as I was drying the dinner dishes my mom called me to ask if we had finished dinner.

“Yes,” I replied.

“Have the kid’s had their baths yet?” she asked.

Baths? Ha! Wasn’t really planning on giving them baths.

“Um. No,” I answered.

“Good! Send them over here with their pajamas and I’ll give them a bath while you and Dan run to Dairy Queen.”

An impromptu run to Dairy Queen! What could be better than a quick trip to Dairy Queen with no kids?

We got 45 minutes of uninterrupted talk with each other. We got to listen to bad 80’s music in the car without anyone yelling for us to “turn on my songs”. (Why is it that all stations insist on playing "the best of the 80’s" on Saturday night?) We got to eat without having to wipe melted ice cream off of anyone’s nose or ear. And best of all, when we got back home, our kids were clean, in their pajamas and ready for bed!

If anyone of you ever has the chance to live right next door to your parents, I highly recommend it…almost as much as I recommend the Chocolate Xtreme Blizzard at DQ!

4 comments:

jennwa said...

I am so jealous, but you already knew that. I wish your parents would semi-adopt me. Ask them if they would like 4 more grandchildren. And I would not need to borrow their lawn mower.

Pam said...

It is midnight and I am starving. You are not helping! My inlaws are good about watching the kids, but I feel like there are so many times I need them to watch them, that I feel guilty when I want them to watch them for something non-essential. I wish my parents would move down here so that I could spread the love around!

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to have your parents close! yes, I am jealous, but also happy for you and especially Peter and Sarah, because they have their grandparents near. I grew up being very close to mine and I wish Ariana could have that too. I get a little sad sometimes because she is missing out, but what can you do? She is so loved even if it is long distance and she knows that! :)
PS. I am officially subscribed to your blog now! This was the 1st post I received through email! How cool is that?

Anonymous said...

There are a lot of fringe benefits in being lived next to....that being....giving baths and hand prints on the front door. We are so blessed!
mom