photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

I survived!

I am up by 5:45 each morning during the week so I like to sleep in on the weekends.  But there was no time for that this past weekend!

I am on the school's PTO Board and we had a retreat/planning meeting on Saturday morning.  Dan and Peter headed to Virginia to spend some time with Dan's brother, Bob, and Sarah spent the  morning with Cheyanne.

After the meeting, I quickly picked Sarah up and we headed to her birthday party. Typically we keep birthdays pretty low key around here.  Usually we celebrate with cake, ice cream and presents with family and a play date or sleepover with one friend.

This year, Sarah decided she wanted a "real party" and a "big sleepover".  After some heated negotiation, she ended up with a skate party where she invited all the girls in her class (luckily there are only 11 including Sarah!) and then a sleepover with 3 other girls.  She wanted to invite all the girls in her class for the sleepover but I knew I couldn't handle that so I had to limit it to three.  (And when girls are involved, you need to make sure you have an even number so that no one gets left out.  This is a lesson I learned long ago!)

7 girls were able to attend the party at the skating rink and I think they all had a great time.  They skated, ate pizza and birthday cake, and skated some more.  Three hours later, the skate party was in the books!

And let me tell you, eight 10-year-old girls can get pretty sweaty and pretty smelly after three hours of roller skating.  (Puberty, here we come!)

I had already warned Sarah that I was not going to entertain the girls when they got back to our house but I shouldn't have worried.  They kept busy with Truth or Dare, bike riding, finding what they thought was a stray kitten (but luckily was not because I don't need any more cats), giggling and squealing (lots and lots of that!), playing on their iPods, and watching movies.

And did I mention giggling and squealing?  10-year-old girls do a lot of that!

I was exhausted so I headed to bed a little before 11.  Around 2:30, I woke up and could hear that the girls were still awake.  I told them they needed to get to sleep, at which point they giggled and squealed some more and finally fell asleep around 3:30  Luckily I can sleep through giggling and squealing.

And just like that, the party was over and I survived! 

Here, in all their dark and grainy glory, are a few of the pictures I took.  Further proof that it doesn't matter how nice the camera might be, if you don't know how to set it, the pictures will not be good!

The whole gang!
Margaret and Sarah


Sarah!


Sarah and her inflatable ice cream cone. (Everybody needs one of these!, Right?)

Cutie!
Brooke and Gabbie



Mia and Sarah

Tiana, Margaret, and Sophie (and a giant inflatable owl)


The sleepover girls enjoying some ice cream!


6 comments:

Madeline said...

Sounds like a successful weekend!! How nice for the boys to escape the giggling and to see Bob. I hope he is responding well to treatment. And now it's a year before you host another giggling party!

Kelli said...

Sounds like a great weekend! I love the smile on your daughters face in the pictures....the smile always makes the craziness that comes with parties worth it.

Mari said...

I'm sure Sarah had a wonderful time and I'm glad you survived. :) Everyone looks happy.
You're smart to remember the even number rule.

Elise said...

So fun, Beth! Looks like they had a wonderful time. :)

Busy Bee Suz said...

Sarah is just beaming; how fun for her and her girl friends. I remember those sleepovers; how come they never want to sleep??? :)

deborah said...

This looks like a super fun party! How can you go wrong with skating, pizza, and inflatables!! I love parties!