photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Friday, July 15, 2016

Your crock pot is your friend!

Our swim team has practice in the mornings and in the evenings.  You don't have to go to both but we always do.  The swim season is very short, the pool is just a few minutes from our house, I get to talk to my BFF at evening practice and the kids get to see their friends again.  So twice a day practice it is!

Evening practice for 11-year-olds and up is from 6:45 to 7:30.  Dan usually gets home from work right as we are pulling out so in order to eat dinner as a family before 8:00 PM, I have been using my crock pot like crazy this summer. As much as my family loves beef stew (and they really do!), I have been trying to find different things to put in the crock pot and last night was a winner!  Everyone liked it (that's rare) and I will be making it again.

We had Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches!  The filling cooked all day in the crock pot.  When I got home from swim practice, I put some hoagie rolls under the broiler to get them toasty.  Then I added provolone cheese to each roll and let that get melty and then we heaped the filling on to the sandwiches.  It was so good!  And so easy!

The original recipe is from Food.com and can be found here.  I omitted the mushrooms because no one in our family eats them but you can add them if you like. 

Here's what I did:

Ingredients:

Cube steak - I used about 1 and 1/2 pounds - slice it thin
Peppers - I had red and orange and yellow so that's what I used instead of green
Onion - slice it really thin
1 t. salt
1 t. pepper
1/2 bag of pepperoni

Directions:

Dump all of the above into a crock pot.  Cook on low for 6 hours.

Toast hoagie rolls under broiler.  Add provolone cheese until a little melty.  Add the mixture from the crock pot onto hoagie rolls and enjoy!

YUM!

This is the mixture before we loaded it onto our sandwiches. 

And Sarah baked chocolate chip cookies we which had for dessert.  (Well, technically, I had been eating them all afternoon but I also had one after dinner!)

 Enjoy your weekend!

3 comments:

Madeline said...

This is an awesome idea for a dinner! We've been all crock pot this summer too so I am ready to mix it up! I will put this on next week's meal plan for sure.

Billie Jo said...

Beth!
This is amazing!!!
Thank you!!!! : )

Mari said...

I love my crock pot and this recipe sounds wonderful!