photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Is it too soon to start looking forward to summer vacation?

Sarah's teacher gives a lot of homework.  A lot.

And I know this to be true because last year, Peter had a lot of homework.  A lot.

And that's fine.  I can understand homework up to a point but there are days it seems to be a bit much.

And typically that's every Wednesday. On Wednesday, Sarah gets to do all of her written homework PLUS  she has 4 - 5 tests to study for because her teacher gives all of their weekly tests on Thursday.

But the worst part of all of this, other than the fact that Sarah spends a ton of time after school on her homework (especially on Wednesdays), is her backpack.

It is so extrememly heavy.

We had the same problem last year because most days Peter practically had to drag his backpack on the ground to get it out to the car in the mornings. And in the afternoons heading to the car rider line, he was usually able to hoist it onto his back but he always had the appearance of a tired, old camel as he approached the end of a long and hot and dusty journey.

I didn't want Sarah to have to suffer so I got her one of those roller back packs.  The problem?  The backpack is very large even when it's empty.  And I guess it has to be in order to accommodate the wheels and the retractable handle.  Once this large backpack is loaded down with practically every textbook and workbook and copybook she has, it is gigantic. 

She has a hard time even lifting it up into the car and when we get home every afternoon it is always wedged in between the front seat and the backseat and can only be extracted by me pulling on it with all my body weight, a lot of grunting and few not so pretty words.

I am seriously considering a bigger car just for the backpack.

Now that he's in 5th grade, Peter has second lunch.  It's only 30 minutes later than first lunch.  That doesn't seem like such a big deal but every day in the car on the way home from school, he complains that the days seems so long this year.  And every time I ask him why, his answer is always, "It takes so long to get to lunch."

So we're only 3 weeks into the new school year and I think we are all already looking forward to summer!


6 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Hi Beth! So nice to meet you. I am adding your lovely blog to my Dashboard at once...will be visiting again soon. : )

Colleen said...

I don't know if you changed anything on your end, but your post was updated in my blog list!

Homework is the worst part of school. I wish they could just do all their work in school and save studying for tests at home. I guess this is a reason so many homeschool!

Mari said...

I really think they give kids too much homework now. It seems like they give out more all the time and to younger kids.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I'm thinking that you should pack a large snack for Peter in that big backpack. LOL. Sorry. I'm not really any help.
I do remember the homework part in elementary school....and middle school too. The funny thing is, my girls didn't seem to have ANY homework in high school....that seems weird doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Your line about the bigger car for the backpack cracked me up. Yes, it's crazy the amount of homework kids have to do these days!

Grandma T said...

ALL that homework just tired this ole Grandma out.....just thinking about it!! Let me know if you need some iron pills...or an extra dose of patience!!