photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Lime Chicken Soft Tacos (Or burritos if you prefer.)

I've been meaning to share this recipe for awhile now and never got around to it.  And now, here it is in all of it's glory - Lime Chicken Soft Tacos.

I came across this recipe on AllRecipes.com right before Sarah was born and made it several times after that.  But for some reason I stopped making it.  I think I thought it would be too hard for toddlers to eat and just kept it filed away in my recipe binder.

Several months ago I came across it again and remembered how much Dan and I enjoyed it so I thought I would give it a try and see what the kids (my picky, finicky kids) thought about it.

And what do you know?!  They loved it!  This is one of the very few recipes that I have that we all four really enjoy eating.  I have plenty of recipes that we will all tolerate but this one - we all really dig!

Lime Chicken Soft Tacos

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cubed
  • 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 lime, juiced
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 10 (6 inch) flour tortillas
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 1/4 cup shredded lettuce
  • 1/4 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
  • 1/4 cup salsa

Directions

  1. Saute chicken in a medium saucepan over medium high heat for about 20 minutes. Add vinegar, lime juice, sugar, salt, pepper, green onion, garlic and oregano. Simmer for an extra 10 minutes.
  2. Heat an iron skillet over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan, warm, and turn over to heat the other side. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Serve lime chicken mixture in warm tortillas topped with tomato, lettuce, cheese and salsa.


This is what the delicious chicken filling looks like cooking in the pan.  I failed to take a picture of the finished product.  I was too busy eating it.  Just imagine this with cheese, sour cream and salsa tucked inside of a burrito shell and you will be good to go.

When we have these for dinner, my husband loves to give the kids a burrito wrapping lesson.  I think that's half the fun for them - trying to see who can wrap the best burrito. I guess I should rename these Lime Chicken Burritos!

**Please note, I usually double up on the sauce ingredients.  We really like the limey/vinegary taste of this chicken!

No comments: