photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Keys for Kids

Earlier this year, we had come to the end of the kid's Bible we were reading each morning at breakfast.  I purchased a devotional book to use in it's place but I could tell the kids just weren't that interested in what I was reading.  (It's called Did You Know?  Each lesson contains an interesting fact or odd piece of history and then it's followed by a Bible verse and a brief lesson that relates the two. Not sure why the kids weren't digging it, but they weren't)

Right around this time, the leader of the prayer group/Bible study that I attend had handed out a kid's devotional booklet called Keys for Kids that she got from her church.  It had gone unused until one morning when Peter said, "Mom can we just skip reading this morning?"  I immediately grabbed the booklet from Cheryl and said, "How about we give this one a try?"

The kids were hooked immediately.  Some mornings they even ask to hear two. 

Each devotion follows the same formula.  One of the kids comes home from school with a problem and then later on that evening one of their parents will say, "You know, Tommy, this broken bike wheel (for example) reminds me of the problem you are having at school" and then they will relate the problem, the bike wheel and a Bible verse to how God expects us to act/think/be." 

I usually chuckle at the parents in the devotions because they sometimes sound a little goofy turning broken wheels, misplaced keys, barking dogs and tree stakes into valuable lessons.

Last night, I was getting ready to dry Sarah's hair when I realized she still had a ton of shampoo in it.  She already had her pajamas on so instead of having her get back in the tub I just had her lay on the counter with her head in my sink.  I put water in a cup and used it to made sure that I got clean water all over her scalp. 

As I was doing this Sarah said, "Mom, this is like in one of those stories you read in the morning."

"Huh?  What are you talking about?" I asked.

"Well, let's say my name is Judy and my mom is washing my dirty hair.  The mom would say, 'Judy this cup of fresh, clean water is like Jesus washing the dirty sin right out of your hair!'"

Perhaps if Sarah's career as a singer doesn't pan out she can be a devotional writer! 

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Wow! All we need is a child-like faith!

That gave me goosebumps! I think they are "digging" the new devo!!

Mari said...

We used to use those devotionals for our kids too. They always liked them. Sounds like your kids are too.

Pam said...

My grandma used to get those for me. :)

He & Me + 3 said...

Thanks for sharing this. I am going to have to check this out. We are in need of a new devotional too.

RR Mama said...

I love it!