photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Monday, December 11, 2023

My new favorite cookie!

Last week, a co-worker had the idea that we should all bring in cookies for another coworker who has been going through a hard time lately.  It was a lovely idea but I tend to have Grinch-like qualities when I feel like I have too much to do and not enough time to do it - like right now, since it's Christmas.

But I took a step back and decided it was a very nice thing to do (a very Christmasy thing to do, in fact) and I could find the time to make some cookies.

Once I put myself in the right frame of mind (more kind and giving and less grumpy and frowny), I had to decide what kind of cookies to make.  Chocolate and peppermint are my favorite holiday flavors so I knew that was the route I wanted to take.  Google led me to the Pioneer Woman's Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies.

They did not disappoint!  They were easy to make and so delicious and I knew I had to share the recipe  here.  I did make one minor tweak which I'll list below.  I will definitely be making these again and every time I make them, I will  always remember that I did a nice thing when I felt like I didn't have time and somehow ended up with plenty of time.  Isn't that how it usually works?

Ingredients

  • 1 c.plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 c.unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3/4 tsp.baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp.kosher salt
  • 1 1/4sticks (10 tablespoons) salted butter, softened
  • 1 c.sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 tsp.vanilla extract (I used 1 tsp. vanilla and 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract)
  • 3/4 c.semisweet chocolate chips
  • 4 oz.milk chocolate, chopped
  • Crushed peppermint candies, for topping

Directions

    1. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl; set aside.
    2. In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
    3. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture in two batches, beating until just combined after each addition. Mix in the chocolate chips.
    4. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough and roll into smooth round balls. Place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight.
    5. Preheat the oven to 350 ̊. Bake the cookies until just set, 9 to 11 minutes. (Don’t over bake!) Let cool slightly, then press the handle of a wooden spoon into the center of each cookie to make a small indentation. Remove the cookies to a rack to cool completely.
    6. Meanwhile, melt the milk chocolate in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon melted chocolate into the center of each cookie and top with crushed peppermints. Let set.
     
 
The chocolate in the center made these extra yummy!  If you like chocolate and peppermint, you must make these!!!!!

7 comments:

Mari said...

Ooooh - chocolate and peppermint is my favorite! I'll be making these. Thank you!

Madeline said...

Yum! These sound great!!

Colleen said...

Several people in my house will LOVE these!! Thanks for sharing, and I can so relate to your message about changing your attitude and gaining more time :)

Gigi said...

Sounds and looks delicious! Thanks for sharing. And yes, changing your attitude works wonders with time, doesn't it?

Ernie said...

Oh my - these look so yummy. If I can find the time, I might have to whip some up for Christmas. I'm hosting. Is it bed that I'd like to tell my sisters that they aren't invited. :(

Laura Pearl said...

These look incredible. (I have never tried a Pioneer Woman recipe that I didn’t love!)

Mari said...

I made these today! They are yummy!