photo p1_zpsc8a7232f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p2_zpse73671a0.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p3_zps456abd62.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p5_zps95486d0f.png  photo j2_zpsc3f43514.png  photo p4_zps481d5f13.png

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

And she's off! And so are we...

Sarah finally got her driver's license!

We had an appointment to go on June 15th for the road test.  But the DMVs were still closed and/or not offering road tests.   On June 19th the Governor of N.C. passed a bill allowing permitted drivers (level 1) to get their level 2 license without the required road test.

As soon as we heard that we hopped on line to make an appointment.  Due to Sarah's dental work and our upcoming vacation I booked her at the DMV closest to us on July 13th.  She hated having to wait that long but I told her that was the only thing available at that DMV that worked with our schedule. 

Sometimes I'm pretty slow.  Sarah quickly reminded me that there were other DMVs in other towns and why didn't I check to see if they had any availability so that she could get her license before vacation.

DUH!

So I got back online and booked an appointment at the DMV in Kernersville for yesterday morning.  She was counting down the days and was so excited Monday morning that she didn't even mind getting up early.

And then my cell phone rang.  That particular DVM was going to be closed for "facility maintenance".  Not sure if that's code for Covid19 Cleaning or if a pipe burst or what but she was devastated.

I told Sarah that I had never cancelled the July 13th appointment and she could just go then but she was so sad that I got back online to see if I could find anything else.  I was looking at towns up to an hour and half a way to see if anyone had anything for today.  No luck.

But then I realized that I had been searching for "new driver" appointments but I really needed a"level 2" appointment.  New drivers are adults that have never had their license.  So I started searching again in all the towns under level 2 appointments and found two appointments in Greensboro this morning and I took one of them! 

Sarah was on cloud nine again.

And I was thankful I only had to drive to Greensboro and not to Charlotte.

We got to the DMV this morning and everyone was outside.  The door was locked.  They were only letting a certain number of people in at a time and the were only allowing people in with appointments.  We didn't have to wait long and once we were in everything went smoothly.

She will have to take the road test in 6 months when she goes back for her level 3 license.  With a level 2 she can drive without a supervisor in the car from 5:00 am to 9:00 pm and can only have one non-relative in the car with her at a time.  With a level 3 she can drive after 9 and with whoever in the car.  I think it's going to be weird that she will have had her license for 6 months and then will have to go back to do the road test.  Regardless - she's got her license!


After we got home, I had some errands to run and she went on her first solo drive.  I was tracking her on the Life360 app and she drove right past the place I was getting the oil changed. So like any good stalker, I snapped a picture.

Tomorrow we are heading to Cape Cod for vacation so I'll check in when we return. 

4 comments:

Mari said...

Congratulations Sarah! I can't believe she's this old and driving!

Billie Jo said...

Congratulations to her!
And to you, Mom!!!
Grocery delivery at your service.
Have a great trip. : )

Madeline said...

Congratulations to Sarah! That's great news! Have a fun and safe trip!

Ernie said...

Thank goodness for the internet so you could find appts. Illinois does not do appts. I am thinking of maybe taking Mini on Tuesday. Might have to juggle her sittibg jobs and there really is almost never a car here . . . especially when you factor in that she is not gonna drive the great white. Still- it is time.

Congrats to Sarah!